1. Parenting

Turkey with stuffing is a Thanksgiving tradition, but if your child has a wheat allergy, Celiac disease, or a GFCF diet, out-of-the-bag bread crumbs are out-of-the-question. What do you put inside the bird, or serve beside it? Try one of these 10 stuffing recipes, all decribed as gluten-free, to make your Thanksgiving menu safer, and maybe a little more interesting, too. They've been added to the allergy-free pumpkin pie recipes in our Holiday Survival Kit; check back next Wednesday for more recipes adapted to the special dietary needs of special kids, and tomorrow for some cool T-shirts for children with food allergies. ... Several of the stuffing recipes listed come from a message board where readers shared their favorite GFCF stuffing recipes, and in that spirit I've started a topic on the Parenting Special Needs forum for recipes suited to any sort of special needs. If you've got good diabetic recipes, food allergy recipes, recipes for kids with sensitivites to certain smells and textures, recipes that are simple enough to make with a special needs child -- post them, please! It's the time of year for sharing.
Comments
October 8, 2010 at 3:27 pm
(1) Roy says:

First of all,,Celiac is not an allergy and should never be refered to as such ! Gluten can make us seriously ill and not to be taken lightly.
I will not use your stuffing

October 8, 2010 at 4:07 pm
(2) Terri Mauro says:

Roy, you’re absolutely right that Celiac disease is not an allergy, and can cause serious illness. However, I don’t believe I referred to it as such in my post. I mentioned “wheat allergy, Celiac disease, *OR* a GFCF diet,” three separate reasons why one might want a stuffing without gluten or wheat. Wheat allergy is different from Celiac disease, but still a concern for some individuals.

The stuffing isn’t mine — I’m just sharing links to recipes from around the Web — and you’re free to use it or not. If you’ve found a better source of stuffing recipes, please follow the link to the forum in the post and share it. I’m sure people who are avoiding gluten and wheat for a variety of reasons would be happy to see it.

October 9, 2010 at 9:57 am
(3) Jackie says:

Very well handled Terri.

November 24, 2010 at 11:21 am
(4) fran says:

How rude some people are ! My son is allergic to many things 6 food allergies at the least and I very much apprieciate this post Terri. When my son gets ahold of something it makes him seriously ill and he breaks out in to skin rashes that last a while. Certainly no disease or health impairment is the same and ultimately they are all not to be taken lightly. Bless you Terri again for posting this.

December 14, 2010 at 4:40 am
(5) jo pollard says:

i’d just like to say that people CAN be allergic to wheat and have an anaphylactic reaction to it!

December 22, 2011 at 2:45 pm
(6) sj says:

Actually Celiac is a type of allergy – much like a nut allergy is fatal, celiac is very serious as well. Your body has an allergic reation to gluten so to speak.

I think the reaction to not use a recipe becasue you feel they do not take our disease serious is ridiculous. Be more concerned about the number of product claiming to be gluten free that are not.

I think you need to get over yourself.

November 27, 2012 at 2:45 pm
(7) TMN says:

actually celiac is an auto immune disease of the intestine. It’s not an allergy although it can present as such