1. Parenting

Terri Mauro

Accident on the Little People, Big World family farm

By October 31, 2006

If you're a fan of Little People, Big World -- a TLC reality show about the Roloff family, including two parents and one teen son who are Little People and three other siblings who are not -- you may be concerned to hear about an accident on the family's farm that injured the youngest Roloff, 9-year-old Jacob. A pumpkin catapult anchored by a concrete block malfunctioned, striking Jacob and Mike Detjen, 58, who was helping him load the device. Fortunately, despite a dime-sized dent in Jacob's skull and 200-plus stitches for Detjen, both have been released from the hospital and are expected to fully recover. An update on the incident on the show's Web site includes a letter from Matt Roloff, Jacob's dad, and a link for sending e-mails of support to the family.
Comments
December 16, 2006 at 10:12 pm
(1) tim Horton says:

Why did they let this happen? They always put their children in harms way on every episode of the show. It should be cancelled by TLC. Operating dangerous machinery and farm equipment is also dangeruos for children!!! Matt and Amy…wake up and take care of your kids better!!!

December 17, 2006 at 2:05 am
(2) F.Strycharski says:

The show has opened up my awearness of the life Little People have to go thur. THANK YOU, ROLOFF FAMILY for opening your life & my eyes. As for kids & equipment on the farm. It’s part of farm life,kids on farm Eq. How many kids get hit by cars on bikes. I worked on a farm 15 -19 yo.My Grandkids would be safer at Amy & Matts farm then here in our small housing area in Oak Harbor,Wa. THANK YOU, T.L.C. FOR LITTLE PEOPLE,BIG WORLD !!!!!!

December 24, 2006 at 11:07 pm
(3) dean says:

They are wonderful parents, I watch the show ever week, they would never put their children in harm way.I just want to thank them for being a blessing in my life. Any child could get hurt, they are truly blessing. No matter what anyone puts in their way they come together as a family and get through as a whole. Wow how many familys really stick together like that. So I just want to thank them for being a insperation.I hope my kids grow up to love and to respect others the way they do, they are wonderful people. Thank you

January 6, 2007 at 7:35 am
(4) leanne says:

in regards to the comment made by tim horton……..at least theyre not beating their kids!!!!! they take very good care of their kids!!!!!! this is the best show on t.v.!!!!!!!! maybe youre jealous because theyre such good parents!!!!

February 27, 2007 at 11:59 am
(5) rose caballero says:

The roloff family are very good parents accidents happen all the time know matter where your at.i don’t know how anyone could say anything negative about this family.
love you matt and amy and children

March 6, 2007 at 12:10 am
(6) Chris says:

I am watching the March 5th episode as I am writing this email. I am very dissapointed to how the twins are acting and not showing respect towards there dad and mom. Matt is such a great dad but I do wonder if he really has taught the twins to take rsponsibilty for doing chores . I was surprised while Matt was away on a business trip that Amy would leave for the day fully knowing that the picnic would be taking place on Saturday and alot needed to be done and she felt that the children would really get the chores done without her being there. As a mom and grandmother kids will be kids without adult supervision. Molly is great and she shows that she can be trusted to be alone, but the twins do not show that they can be trusted without supervision. I hope the twins will have the opportunity to read this and that they will show more respect to the wonderfull parents that they have and do there chores with trust. I will not continue to watch this family if the twins behavior is allowed to continue as it did tonight in this episode.

March 10, 2007 at 11:20 pm
(7) Robin says:

I enjoy the show very much and sometimes forget that Matt, Amy, and Zach are little people. Is that good or bad?
I would like to see Amy be more supportive of Matt and not so negative and critical.

April 10, 2007 at 7:02 pm
(8) TIFFANY says:

hi Roloff family,this is tiffanyyoyr biggest fan and i just want to say sorry for what happened to jacob and mike that was a bad accident and it made me sad to see that happen i hope you have a good recovery jacob and mike.LITTLE PEOPLE ROCK

September 28, 2008 at 2:40 pm
(9) JOE says:

I THINK THE ROLLOFFS ROCK.THEY ARE A REFRESHING CHANGE FROM ALL THE DO ANYTHING FOR MONEY REALITY SHOWS. WE COULD ALL TAKE A TIP FROM THE ROLLOFFS. ACCIDENTS HAPPEN TO EVERYONE.SO BEFORE YOU JUDGE THEM TAKE A LOOK AT YOURSELF!

March 25, 2009 at 11:49 pm
(10) Hock says:

I don’t think they will stay together once the show ends.They need the money too much cuz what is coming in seems to be going out right away. I’ll bet they have no money saved from doing the tv show. Spenders only spend, never save. I could never stay married to a man who thinks he knows everything all the time. Stupid is as stupid does. All they do is buy, buy buy. They have no family values at all.They never eat together and Amy always avoids Matt. Good Luck

April 20, 2009 at 8:08 pm
(11) Melissa says:

Big deal it was an accident. Accidents happen, thats whats part of being human. The important thing is that they are okay now. Goodess, and dont you dare say they are bad parents! They are awesome! Do you know how much they give to their kids? Like that castle they built! They are always making fun projects and this was a fun project. This probably happened because this taught them to be more carefull! Duh. So stop saying that they are bad parents because they are most certainly not!!!!!!!!!

June 9, 2009 at 1:57 am
(12) Abe says:

The problem is the Roloff parents seem to be drunk in every episode. That prevents them for taking care of their children in a responsible way.

July 3, 2009 at 11:02 pm
(13) Kevin Sedgwick says:

Abe,

Are you on drugs?? I love the TLC Roloff show and see nothing to be worried about. I have watched every show since it’s inception. This last incident with Jacob and Mike was an accident and accidents do happen.

Dr.Irwin Freud

April 8, 2010 at 8:28 am
(14) amanda cheesman says:

i watch this program and i think they are great parents my youngest son is allways hurting him self and he works on a farm in the summer and hrs only 14yrs keep u the good work mat and amy your great xx