1. Parenting
You can opt-out at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy for contact information.

Discuss in my forum

Terri Mauro

College scholarships for students with special needs

By January 30, 2007

Follow me on:

Do you have college plans for your child? For some families, that idea may seem far away in terms of time or ability. But if you have a teen with special needs who's heading in the direction of a college experience, you should be aware that there are scholarships specifically intended for children with disabilities, including hearing impairment, vision impairment, physical impairment, and learning disabilities. A new category has just been opened in our long-term planning section on special-needs scholarships, and will be expanded over the coming days and weeks. Check now and again to see if there might be something to help your special child attain his or her higher education dreams.
June 5, 2008 at 9:36 am
(1) donna says:

My 25 year old son has just been diagnosed with Asperger’s. When he was younger they said it was ADD but the meds never worked. He went to Iraq and is having major difficulty now that he is back and in the VA. They diagnosed him and are working with him. He would like to go to college and I was wondering if there were any scholarship programs for his age and recent diagnosis. We are all learning about this and kicking ourselves for things we handled incorrectly in his childhood. Everything I see online is geared towards children, and not just the scholarships. I need direction. Thank you! Donna

June 6, 2008 at 9:35 am
(2) specialchildren says:

Donna, you might try contacting GRASP, which is a group that offers serves for adults with Asperger Syndrome. Their website is at http://www.grasp.org/. You can read more about the group’s executive director, Michael John Carley, in my review of his book, Asperger’s From the Inside Out.

June 9, 2008 at 1:51 pm
(3) Donna says:

Thank you so much. !!! Donna

July 16, 2008 at 1:27 pm
(4) Kim Frazier says:

I looking for scholarships for my daughter. She has an IEP for lanuage and has ADHD and also has a learning disability. Do you know of any scholarships or colleges for students with LD?

She wants to abtain a sign lanuage certificate and a degree in elementary education.

December 10, 2008 at 11:48 am
(5) Salli says:

My son is a type 1 diabetic. He will be enterning college in 2 years. Coming up with extra money for college will be hard for us. We struggle just to pay for his meds. Is there help for him?

December 10, 2008 at 12:22 pm
(6) specialchildren says:
April 10, 2009 at 10:21 pm
(7) Ashley says:

I graduated from high school last year. I had an IEP, and was in special eduacation classes. I was diagnosed with a speech and language impairment and not being able to comprehend as well as others. I have been looking for scholarships, grant, or anything that will help pay for college. I have also been looking for colleges that have classes for people that are like me. I don’t think I would be able to learn in a regular classroom. Thanks so much!

September 21, 2009 at 8:56 pm
(8) Jan says:

My son is xxy – Klienfelters and wants to go to college and study engineering. I am a single Mom and expenses are rough. Are there any scholarships or financial aid for xxy boys?

October 22, 2009 at 10:43 am
(9) Mary Haws says:

I have a daughter that suffered a severe TBI in spring of 2008 and will be attending college in the fall of 2010 with an IEP. We are looking for scholarships for her and wondering what we need to do specifically to find a college that will suit her needs.

March 25, 2010 at 12:49 pm
(10) Debi says:

Our daughter will be entering college in the fall, she has juvenile rheumatoid arthritis since she has been two years old. Are there any scholarships for students that have medical conditions?

Thank you

March 25, 2010 at 6:55 pm
(11) specialchildren says:

Debi, there’s a scholarship for kids with RA at http://www.reachbeyondra.com/scholarship/, but unfortunately the deadline’s past for this year. You might try checking with your local Elks lodge — I know the Elks in our state give a scholarship for kids with physical disabilities, but don’t know if it’s national.

April 30, 2010 at 2:14 pm
(12) Jodi says:

My daughter has had an iep since kindergarten. She has a speech disability and learning disability. With hard work and perserverance she has been able to achieve a 3.6g.p.a She will be a senior this year. Do you know of an scholarships that are available for a student in her position?

June 15, 2010 at 3:15 pm
(13) Tina says:

I have a son that has an IEP for dyslexia and has a 3.66 + GPA He will be a junior this year and we are wanting to start getting ideas for scholarships for this type disability. Please let me know where to start.

September 18, 2010 at 9:46 pm
(14) HisLittleSister says:

My brother has MILD autism and wants to go to college. He is 24 and has some college from 2004-2005. My first question is: do all schools have a area for special needs people? Also, what scholarship opportunities are available for him at is age?

please help!

October 11, 2010 at 3:06 pm
(15) specialchildren says:

For those looking for scholarships, I’ve added an article at http://specialchildren.about.com/od/specialneedsscholarships/tp/Disability-Scholarships.htm that has a number of resources to check out, as well as a listing of disability-specific scholarships at http://specialchildren.about.com/od/specialneedsscholarships/tp/Special-Needs-Scholarships.htm . Hope this helps.

November 1, 2010 at 2:50 pm
(16) Christina says:

I have a daughter who graduated from highschool who was in special education from 1st gread and on thru graduation. She almost drowned when she was 18mo. and was diagnosed as boarderline mentally retarded in grade school.

We felt like traditional jr college was not for her. She is now trying to go culinary school and I feel like its the best thing for her, very hands on of course and thats how she leasrns best.

But we need scholarships and grants because its very expensive.

January 3, 2011 at 4:45 pm
(17) Renee Carter says:

My son is 21, mental retardation & ADHD, has the opportunity to attended a 4-year non-degree program at George Mason University. Do you have any site links for scholarships for this mental health condition? Thanks.

January 3, 2011 at 4:52 pm
(18) specialchildren says:

Renee, have you talked with the financial aid department at the college? They may have some information on how others have financed that program. I’ve got some other suggestions of places to check at http://specialchildren.about.com/od/specialneedsscholarships/tp/Disability-Scholarships.htm .

January 15, 2011 at 7:11 pm
(19) Danitzia Rosa says:

I have a daughter who graduated from high school who was in special education from 3rd grade and on thru graduation. She had learn disability problem that when she was 6 weeks old she had a car accident and has seizures for a week back then and now that she trying to get into college but we cant afford to pay for her expense stuff and we need scholarships and grants because its very expensive.

January 23, 2011 at 7:55 pm
(20) Michelle says:

My daughter has a rare birth defect called Duane’s Syndrome. She has receive assistance since she was only 1 and is currently in a 12-1-1 program in middle school. But with all the doctors she has seen and special programs she attends I don’t feel like she is being helped that fit her needs. As she nears high school I’d like to start finding schools for college that could help assist her. I am a single mother raising 3 children by myself so I can’t afford to pay for extra help. I was wondering if you had any advice for any current and future assistance. Thank You!

March 16, 2011 at 7:42 am
(21) Darian says:

I have Duane Syndrome and im a Junior in high school. im looking for a scholarship and my friend said i might be able to get one for my eye. its not a terrible case unlike some that have both eyes that cant move in a certain direction. my left eye just can not move left. I just want help. thank you for all your answers.

March 18, 2011 at 1:53 pm
(22) specialchildren says:

Darian, I don’t know of anything specifically for Duane Syndrome, but if you look at the article at http://specialchildren.about.com/od/specialneedsscholarships/tp/Disability-Scholarships.htm, there are some ideas for tracking scholarships down. Good luck.

May 1, 2011 at 7:48 pm
(23) nancy says:

My son is a senior with an IEP. He is ADHD, has a writing disorder and has problems in math. I was looking for any scholarships or grants that he would qualify to receive.

May 3, 2011 at 10:06 am
(24) specialchildren says:

Nancy, the About.com guide to ADHD has a listing of ADHD scholarships at http://add.about.com/od/adhdresources/a/Scholarships.htm. I also have some ideas of places to look for scholarships at http://specialchildren.about.com/od/specialneedsscholarships/tp/Disability-Scholarships.htm. Hope this helps.

September 15, 2011 at 9:11 pm
(25) Jaclyn says:

I am an I.E.P student and i am enrolling in college next September. i am perusing a career in youth and childcare.
I heard from another I.E.P student that you get a 10.000 grant is this true? If not do you know any other options i could try?

September 25, 2011 at 8:21 pm
(26) charolette says:

My son is 21 years old and is learning diabled and diabetic. I know that he has the ability to complete a college degree but I need to ensure he has the support he needs. He desires to get an associate degree in Homeland security. I have found a college near by but not close enough to drive. As single parent, I could manage to pay tuition and books but not housing. I can’t manage getting a student loan since, I am still paying mine. What help is there for my son.

November 1, 2011 at 3:30 pm
(27) Miss T says:

I am a 20 year old with ADHD and a learning problem i was wondering is there any kind scholarship i can get and is there any kind of colleges I can go to? ……. Thank You

November 2, 2011 at 9:14 am
(28) specialchildren says:

For those looking for scholarships, I have an article at http://specialchildren.about.com/od/specialneedsscholarships/tp/Disability-Scholarships.htm that has a number of resources to check out, as well as a listing of disability-specific scholarships at http://specialchildren.about.com/od/specialneedsscholarships/tp/Special-Needs-Scholarships.htm . About.com’s ADHD guide also has special-needs scholarships listed at http://specialchildren.about.com/od/specialneedsscholarships/tp/Special-Needs-Scholarships.htm.

November 2, 2011 at 1:28 pm
(29) Donna says:

My daughter was diagnosised with Ehlers Danlos Disease . She attends William Paterson College. She had a meeting at the disablity office in July of this year . They have assured her that she would get a letter in the mail to show to professors as of this date with emails and phone calls to William Paterson disability office we still havent received the proper documentation. Her disease effects her hand and its becoming more and more painful.

I do understand that many people do not know what this disease is but with all documentation from surgeries and physicians I cant for the life of me understand the college’s position for the student with disabilties.

November 7, 2011 at 7:55 pm
(30) Shelby says:

In January I was in a severe car accident resulting in a Traumatic Brain Injury, spending 2 months in the hospital and a month in rehabilitation. I had just started college, after taking a year after high school off, and was enrolled in classes for the Spring semester that my dad had to withdraw me from. Would there be any scholarships I can apply for to help me go back to school to get back to my life? I miss college, I miss who I was.

November 11, 2011 at 12:41 am
(31) Chelsea Saxton says:

I got an IEP for mental instability, I often got in fights and no one believed anything was wrong with me. it took until Seventh grade for people to listen. i was later diagnosed with ptsd, depression, and ADHD. I was released from counseling off medication, but I’m wondering where I can find grants to help me pay for college to become a veterinarian.

November 23, 2011 at 10:07 pm
(32) Stacey says:

Is there any site available that provides information on grants or scholarships for special needs kids who would like to attend a special ed private elementary or middle school?

February 2, 2012 at 4:19 pm
(33) Amelia says:

I’m a junior in high school, and was diagnosed with a rare connective tissue disorder called Ehlers Danlos Syndrome. It affect a person’s joints and skin, and I can’t for the life of me find any scholarships dedicated toward it. Any help?

February 2, 2012 at 5:50 pm
(34) specialchildren says:

Amelia, you might check with the Ehlers-Danlos National Foundation and see if they know of anything — the site is http://www.ednf.org/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1, but there’s also a Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/EHLERS-DANLOS-NATIONAL-FOUNDATION/294028895335 that would probably be a good place to ask a question. I’d also suggest googling and searching scholarship databases for just general disability scholarships. You’d probably qualify for some of those even if they’re not specifically EDS-related. For some ideas on where to look, see http://specialchildren.about.com/od/specialneedsscholarships/tp/Disability-Scholarships.htm. Good luck!

July 10, 2012 at 7:58 pm
(35) Kathleen Wochaski says:

My son has been accepted to a college which has a program for students with complex learning issues. They work with the students in many different areas: academic, personal finance, independent living just to name a few. He is over the moon excited. However, tuition is very expensive. In addition to his learning challenges he has had three open-heart surgeries and was on human growth hormone injections for five years! He’s tough! My husband has been out of work since the auto industry went belly up. Hard times around here. No gov. funds for him because of the specialized program. Any financial assistance would be helpful.

July 20, 2012 at 8:19 am
(36) specialchildren says:

Kathleen, if there are service organizations in your area like the Elks or Moose, you might ask the local one for help. Also, check with the school and see where other kids going to that specialized program have received assistance. There are other ideas at http://specialchildren.about.com/od/specialneedsscholarships/tp/Disability-Scholarships.htm and http://specialchildren.about.com/od/specialneedsscholarships/tp/Special-Needs-Scholarships.htm. Think College also has a FAQ that includes a question about finances at http://www.thinkcollege.net/for-families/faqs.

October 2, 2012 at 12:59 pm
(37) Tamara says:

I am currently a high school senior and im researching scholorships as a young child I was diagnosed with a rare disease called duane syndrome. Are there any scholorships available for me?

October 4, 2012 at 8:48 am
(38) specialchildren says:

Tamara, I don’t know of anything specific for Duane Syndrome, but the articles at http://specialchildren.about.com/od/specialneedsscholarships/tp/Disability-Scholarships.htm and http://specialchildren.about.com/od/specialneedsscholarships/tp/Special-Needs-Scholarships.htm should give you some ideas of who to ask and where to look.

November 28, 2012 at 9:13 am
(39) Brittany says:

I am a 17 year old high school student with and iep and have been diagnosed with manic depression. I am looking for scholarships that can help me further my education do you know any that can help?.

November 28, 2012 at 4:23 pm
(40) specialchildren says:
December 3, 2012 at 10:36 pm
(41) Paula lopez trigo says:

I recently had a terrible car accident and suffered through a brain injury. I was working and going to school prior to the accident. I was in the second year of pharmacy school. I’m currently recovering and my hope is to get back into school next fall. Would it be possible to receive information of scholarships considering the situation I’m in? I appreciate your time and thank you.

December 7, 2012 at 12:12 pm
(42) specialchildren says:

Paula, in addition to the sites I’ve linked to above, you might want to look at this one: http://www.biausa.org/faqretrieve.aspx?id=43918.

December 26, 2012 at 3:05 pm
(43) rachel says:

I have a desperate need in reference to financing for my very artistic creative neice with Aspergers to go program sponsored by The Help Group(UCLA), provides social skills training, life skills training, and they also take college courses. Any it is 4000/ month.
I also have a son that has social deficits adhd and other mild signs of autism that needs this program MY question for this panel IF SOMEONE unrelated to them gives money directly to the school could they write it off as a tax donation. Also are there any scholarshipd or grants I am a nurse and I would do a job anywhere as this is essential for them to have a chance at a successful life Please help_ even if you know of another program adhd that is smart and need social skills training an area that has affected his entire life.

February 15, 2013 at 9:38 pm
(44) Amanda says:

I’m a 19 year old high school graduate with an IEP. I have ADHD and other learning disabilities. I’m looking for a scholarship to help me go to a college in another state to further my education. Please help if you have any suggestions as to where i could look. I’m perusing an english major.

June 25, 2013 at 9:23 pm
(45) Amanda says:

I am a high school senior this upcoming school year. Since the finishing of my sophomore year I have been diagnosed with being hyper-glycemic and having Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome. Both have impaired my ability to apply to the college of my dreams and now I have to go with back up that I have no money to fund. Do you know of any scholarships for either? The Foundation unfortunately has none listed as it is a rare disease, so the funds are few and far between. I rather have any money they receive put toward finding a cure instead of a scholarship in all honesty.):

January 2, 2014 at 6:43 am
(46) cassy nichole says:

do you know if there are any scholarship program that will pay for a child with an i.e.p to attend private school?

February 28, 2014 at 12:43 pm
(47) Linda gregoire says:

My son is heading to college in the fall and could not participate in sports because of his connective tissue disorder, which they believe is Marfan’s syndrome. He could nor get sports scolorships because of his restrictions. I was wondering what may be offered to him because of his diagnosis. His father has also been diagnosis end with ALS ( Lou Gehrig’s disease) since 12/17/07. So as you can imagine our income is very limited. I was wondering what kind of help he could get

Leave a Comment

Line and paragraph breaks are automatic. Some HTML allowed: <a href="" title="">, <b>, <i>, <strike>

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.