1. Parenting

Terri Mauro

Fear of Escalators

By January 9, 2008

It's funny how your child can be doing well, and then ability gaps will pop up in the strangest places. My daughter has been having a great year, learning to drive like a pro, getting good grades, managing her anxiety much better than in the past.

And then, today, at the mall, I remembered something she absolutely cannot do: Ride the down escalator.

Going down on the escalator has been a terrifying prospect for her since she was a little girl. She's managed to master the ride up, and I keep thinking she'll figure out how to step down. Yet here she is, a mostly capable high-schooler, still frozen in terror at the top of that moving stairway.

Today, at the mall, we were able to find elevators whenever we needed to change floors downward. And I suppose most places she'll visit will have stair or elevator options. To that degree, this feels like a "whatever works" thing. She's probably not the only person in the world with poor depth perception and a fear of heights.

We're starting to get to a time, though, when she's going to be off with friends who may not be so understanding about her need to scour the outer limits of the department store for the lift. I don't know if I should make a point of getting her through this now, or just trust that she'll find friends who won't mind.

Do your kids have trouble with escalators? What have you done, or not done, about it? Share your experience in the comments, then read some explanations and advice on escalator fear.

Photo: Ralph Orlowski/Getty Images
Comments
January 10, 2008 at 10:18 am
(1) sylrayj says:

I have poor depth perception too. I usually manage by observing things around me, such as the person ahead of me. When we get near the bottom of the escalator, they rise up in front of me – it’s a fairly sharp difference. I also hold the handrail, as far ahead as I can safely reach. I can feel it rise up at the end of the steps too.

The biggest problem I have is if I look at the stairs themselves. The serrated lines of the steps shift, and move, and weave, and I get disoriented and a bit seasick. So I hold my head up, feel when the handrail shifts to horizontal and then sharply dips right at the point when you need to step off onto the platform, and watch out the corner of my eye for visual clues that aren’t as disorienting.

Hope some of this helps. :)

January 10, 2008 at 5:40 pm
(2) Nancy L. says:

I know quite a few adults who can’t handle “down” escalators. Your daughter shouldn’t be afraid to tell her friends that she can’t do the escalator and needs to find the stairs or the elevator. If they’re true friends, they won’t hesitate to accommodate her!

January 16, 2008 at 12:17 pm
(3) Carol says:

My daughter’s poor depth perception and anxiety also limit her ability to get on the down escalator. She can succeed if she’s holding hands with someone that she trusts. I’ve also heard that Irlene glasses can help with this, but I haven’t been able to get my daughter to buy into trying them.

January 20, 2008 at 3:18 pm
(4) Annalise (13) says:

I have a fear of escalators, and whenever I see one I take a panic attack. Stairs and Elevators are the best bet to use. Last year I managed to succesfuly go on escalators for a few months, then when it came to christmas shopping the fear brought on again and these girls did taunt me because of it. Just keep going on stairs and elevators, and she’ll be ok.

April 1, 2008 at 12:12 pm
(5) ellina says:

hi,
i have the fear of going down them since i was little and i don’t know why, ihave the fear of heights but i don’t know how to cope!

May 1, 2008 at 12:32 pm
(6) kayla says:

i am 15 and i still cannot make myself go down an escalator. alot of my friends are between 16-20 and they are all very understanding. sometimes they make little jokes about it i know its all in fun and they are all more than willing to walk down the STAIRS with me…..your daughter shouldnt feel embarrased. just like some people cant handle elevators…escalators arent any different.. hope this helps

June 21, 2008 at 11:25 pm
(7) Megumi says:

I too have been afraid of going down the escalator for years now but I do manage to go down- only I have to pause before I do it. =/ I’m planning to have more escalator trainings soon and I think this will really help.

June 25, 2008 at 1:33 pm
(8) alison says:

I have been afraid of down escalators for a while now. probably 2 or3 years and it really bugs me how i feel so sick and my hands get sweaty and i cant think stright when i encounter one. what’s weird is about 7 months ago i got got on one at a huge mall but the week after i couldnt do it. and then about 3 months ago i did it twice and i was fine but then i came back the next week and i couldnt do it agian. my mom thinks ill grow out of it and im getting more comforatble every time i go to the mall. im a teen and i would just have your daughter go to the mall either kind of early or late and she can stand there and look at it and after a reallly long time she’ll get bored and then she’ll just think it stupid and maybe she’ll be able to get on it. but if nothing wprks don’t force her to try it because some people just get sick and dont like it and in that case take the elevator or stairs because most places have them because of handicap people. hope this helps and good luck.

July 23, 2008 at 6:33 pm
(9) Hayley says:

I have had a fear of escalators ever since I was little. I have tried to make myself go down but I have always freaked out. I can make myself go up but never down.

July 29, 2008 at 2:20 pm
(10) Maddie says:

Ok just because I’m scared of down escalators and have been since I was like 3 or as long as I remember doesn’t mean I’m special. I get awesome grades, I’m popular,and I have like a million and 1 friends. I’m not special! I just have a fear of heights which is nothing new to America or anywhere. It’s actually kind of normal. Excuse me for not wanting to fall of a down escalator and die.

July 31, 2008 at 4:28 pm
(11) wendy says:

I am a 48 year old and am petrified of going down escalators going up is no problem , I go hot and cold feel sick and go sweaty even getting near one , I would love to changwe but always chicken out at the last minute i feel i am missing out on so much m,y family and friens are very understanding but i think they feel it is strange as i would happily go up on them all day it is just the first step when my stomach seems to jump in to my mouth …

August 14, 2008 at 10:00 pm
(12) Jim says:

As a young child, I almost fell off an escalator. Ever since, I have had a deathly fear of escalators. I am fifteen years old, and all my friends give me crap about it. I have almost mastered the down escalator, but the up one still causes me worlds of trouble

October 6, 2008 at 1:23 pm
(13) Chris says:

I am 37 years old, and terrified of down escalators. I can ride up all day long, no problem, but always seek out the stairs or the elevator to go down. I don’t think of it as a disability … when people see me take the stairs, I imagine that they think I’m just in a hurry, or “counting steps” for a weight loss program.

I agree with those who commented that it has something to do with perception / visual acuity. There are some down escalators that I can manage. If the slope is not extreme, and it is enclosed, and the individual steps are broad, and it’s not moving too quickly, I’m OK. Open air glass elevators, never! The bright yellow line painted at the edge helps too.

It’s really more of a fear of falling than the escalator itself.

October 19, 2008 at 1:24 pm
(14) cj says:

I umderstand completly what you daughter is going thorugh i have the same challage but with going up as well as doen, i am considerign hyponisis as i have heard this is very good and can help.

November 10, 2008 at 10:50 pm
(15) Carrie says:

Im the same way!
I can go up but i can’t go down!
its terrifying
I’m not sure ill ever get over it!

November 24, 2008 at 12:57 am
(16) chrissy Dorsey says:

I am really afraid of escalators and had been since I was a little kid. Now at the age of 22 years old. I am still afraid of escalators and my husband dosen’t really understand why. Even though I keep on tell him why.
So, If anyone knows how to over come that feeling Please tell me?? Thank you,
Chrissy Dorsey

December 17, 2008 at 4:36 pm
(17) Shana says:

I am TERRIFIED of escalators. I have always been since I was little, and I too am able to go up them now, but it still gives me anxiety while I do so. As for the down escalators, I avoid them at all costs, even if I have to walk to the complete opposite side of the mall, go down stairs or elevator, and walk all the way back to the first side again. I used to sometimes be okay if someone waited until I was ready and held my hand – as long as I had on sturdy shoes and nothing else in my hands. Now that I am older, I am too afraid of people judging me, or trying to hurry me up while waiting behind me. So, I don’t even try anymore. Too much anxiety for me. To top that off, a guy I was dating in highschool once thought it was funny to scare me as I was about to step on the down escalator with his help by moving his hand that was holding mine suddenly. I jumped back probably 10 feet and started crying. That surely did not help. My husband respects my need for elevators or stairs, but he does think its a bit silly. My best friend thinks I’m flat out ridiculous – but you know what? I don’t care what anyone thinks about me being afraid of it. I rather they think I’m being childish afraid to overcome a silly fear, then to look like an idiot in the mall trying to step on an escalator. its no big deal, there are other ways to get around. If I were your daughter I would tell friends — “I have Escalaphobia, I’ll take the stairs.” perhaps wink, and make a joke out of it… Most people are afraid of something, she can remind her friends of that if they think she is being silly.

as for the depth perception thing, maybe thats my problem too.. I don’t drive and when I used to try I was that person everyone was beeping at to hurry up and go because I was afraid to pull out if there were any cars in sight I couldnt tell when it was good to go.

Good luck to your daughter. she isnt the only one with fear of escalators. Besides, escalators were only created because people are lazy.

January 5, 2009 at 8:12 am
(18) Julie says:

I am about to go into highschool now and I also have trouble with going down the escalators. It’s not as much going up it as it is down. Mostly, I think its scary because I’m scared of heights, I though I was the only one, having to take the elevator while 3 2 year olds hop down the escalators is pretty embarressing, I am fine going down and up stairs, its just the escalators, I had no idea if it was normal. Just yesterday I had to go on them, could’nt go down though,I hope over the years I will grow out, my mom has tried to help me by not going to the mall a whole lot and making sure theres a elevator close by when there are escalators.

January 8, 2009 at 4:17 pm
(19) Debbie says:

I feel a sense of relief knowing that I am not alone. Maybe we should all meet at the mall one day:)My fear of going down escalators began at World Expo 1967 in Montreal Quebec. I was about 10. The Russian pavilion had a jumbo escalator that was practically the ht of the building. Who knew they made them that long? I was mortified to go down it yet it was the only way out of that building. My Father had to gently push me because there were crowds forming behind us waiting to go down. I am in my early 50′s and still terrified of going down escalators or up very steep high ones. The fear does not just go away with time.
Virtual reality therapy is supposed to work but it is $150/session and 10 are needed…too expensive.
It is truly awkward with friends having to make up some excuse to meet them on the next level while you run to find the stairs or elevator. It is the worst phobia!

January 14, 2009 at 1:40 am
(20) Korey says:

I got my shoe lace stuck in an escalator once when I was very little. I had always heard the “horror stories” about kids getting their shoe laces stuck and then getting sucked into the escalator. I was 6 at the time so the stories seemed real, now I know they are obviously told by older children to freak out younger children but they still terrify me. I dont like going up or down on them. The only thing that I find that helps me cope is I cant do it alone. If I am going up, I need to stand infront of someone and I if I am going down I need to stand directly behind them. I dont know why but it really helps.

January 15, 2009 at 10:42 pm
(21) Anonymous says:

Everyone has a phobia at one point in their lives. It will usually go away over time, and if not, there are methods to help a person get over their phobia.

January 19, 2009 at 1:36 pm
(22) Clayton says:

I too have been afraid of escalators since I was about seven. I later developed problems going down stairs and walking near ledges in malls, airports, etc. I doesn’t help that I am rather tall (6′ 4″) and have huge feet (14 wide). The handrails are too far beneath me and the steps are too small! I generally don’t have trouble going up, but if I can see the area beneath the escalator, I get sweaty palms, a quick pulse, etc. I am 23 now and can generally go down stairs and some escalators, but I still have trouble if there are people behind me or if the escalator crosses another (the worst!) Everyone, don’t sweat it, most people (99.9%) are afraid of other ridiculous things.

February 16, 2009 at 11:10 pm
(23) desiree says:

I HAVE A FEAR OF ESCALATORS TOO. MY MOTHER THINKS ITS IRRATIONAL, BUT SHE DOESNT UNDERSTAND THAT IT IS A GENUINE FEAR

March 2, 2009 at 12:07 pm
(24) Tracie D. says:

I am 35 years old and since I was a little girl I have NEVER been crazy about taking the escalator, but somehow I always managed to use it anyway. Like most of the other people who have this fear I,too, have a fear of heights. I have noticed if I am on a crowded escalator with people surrounding me, I don’t feel as scared (probably because I can’t really see the bottom). In early January, my boyfriend and I were in Manhattan for a day of shopping and we went to a store where they had a rather long and high escalator. I had no trouble going up, but then when I went to use the down one, I put one foot on the step and hesitated for just a moment before putting the other one on. It was moving rather fast and in just that brief moment of hesitation, the steps started dragging me down. Thankfully, I caught myself from falling, but I was left with my heart pounding, I felt light headed and was shaking for a few minutes. I really didn’t think to find any stairs or elevator options (I was just too shaken up) so I just took a deep breath and somehow managed to get back on it again because I thought I had no other choice if I wanted to get out of the store. Using the old adage “once you fall off a horse, you have to get yourself right back on again” I wound up in about 2 other stores with escalators. Although I was scared, in order to time my footing properly, I counted a quick “one, two” and got both of my feet on the step quickly and managed just fine, including the down escalator. I thought I was past it, right then and there, but I wasn’t.

About two weeks later, we were in another store with another escalator. I was a bit concerned at first, but figured I was past it. I managed the up one just fine but, unfortunately, what goes up must come DOWN. I was a little apprehenisive like always, but this time it was REALLY BAD. I had a basket of items in one hand (you had to pay downstairs) and the steps were going REALLY fast and to top it all off I was feeling a bit dizzy, too (that happens to me from time to time) so I waas feeling a bit off balance. I know with these conditions using the escalator on this particular day was probably NOT such a good idea, but I thought it best to not give in to my fear. I hestated my footing again for just a brief moment and AGAIN I almost got dragged down the escalator. That was IT for me! I found my boyfriend (who is very sweet and understanding :) and we took the elevator down. Now I am terrified of even the thought of going on a down escalator and don’t know what to do. I live in NY and know that I will be missing out on a LOT if I limit myself to going to places that I know have other alternatives to moving in between floors other than just the escalator. I don’t want this to ruin my life and I want to get past it once and for all, but I just don’t know how. If ANYONE has any hints or ideas, PLEASE post them. Thanks :)

March 18, 2009 at 6:21 pm
(25) Lisa says:

I am 37 years old and have not been on a down escalator in 30 + years… I think I was 4 the last time I was on one. About 2 years ago I was able to go up but am still very fearful even with going up. It has to be a quick ride, not to high and I have to have good shoes on and nothing in my hands. As much as I dislike them I often wonder why do we even have them??? Whats the purpose??? Anyways, this fear has caused issues at home and at work since I work retail. People just dont understand but I am happy to read that there are people out there who do.

March 23, 2009 at 6:02 pm
(26) Easty. says:

Im only a teen, and im so scared of esculators!
I thought i was alone on this one.
Theres a huge esculator where i live that is in one of the train stations. I had no choice to go down it on my birthday as we’d just come off a holland america cruise liner docked into, and had to go down.

I just stood there shook like hell saying i didnt wanna go down it. + it was getting really busy so i had to. i got on the step, lost it, and fainted just rolled down a few steps. but i will never grow out of this fear. its horrible.

i couldn’t even go on the esculators in an airport which are tiny!

May 6, 2009 at 7:33 pm
(27) Kayla s says:

I’m 16 and I’ve been afraid to go esculators since as long as I can remember. I cannot go down or up. It terrifying for me. Then I start having these anxiety attacks and get this cold sweat about me. I just don’t like them. :(

May 6, 2009 at 9:54 pm
(28) Amanda says:

I am 20 years old and I’ve had a fear of escalators since I was about 5. Before then I was fine, but I think that an incident where I almost fell was what caused my fear. I have learned to handle going up, with help from a friend close by me and having my hands free to grip the rails. But when going down I go into full-fledged panic attacks. I start hyperventilating and shaking. I also have a very big fear of heights to where if I feel too high up my legs will give out. I am working on this, but my friends and family get annoyed when I want to use the elevator or stairs instead (and I know exactly where all of them are in the mall). They laugh about it sometimes, but it really isn’t funny. Having a panic attack is not fun.

July 18, 2009 at 2:43 pm
(29) kat says:

Wow!I have felt so alone with my fear of escalators.I am 26 and still will choose stairs rather than use an escalator.

I was traumatized when I was near 7 years old because I almost fell down an escalator.If it weren’t for my friend’s mom who pulled me away because I slipped,I would have gone down.And ever since I cannot go down an escalator.

I also have a bad sense of balance which makes going down stairs difficult to begin with…let alone ones that move.And I also have a terrible fear of heights.

I have gotten mixed feedback.My friends in college were understanding but as a kid I was made fun of.My mother thought I should just get over it but I can’t.

It is slightly embarrassing to admit this fear to other people who are fine with escalators.

Sometimes I feel like that it is an inconvenience because a lot more places have escalators and then I have to search for a set of stairs.

Even going near an escalator and looking down will cause me to panic.I try to watch people and see how they do it but I still can’t figure out how to overcome this fear.

July 27, 2009 at 11:58 am
(30) Frankie says:

I am 17 and have a fear of escalators. I find it has occured quite recently, as once I tripped which kind of triggered it . . and has gotten really bad within the past few months. Its interesting to see that other people have different thoughts and feelings about escalators. I am fine when I’m on them & or when I get off. But I find stepping onto them completely unbearable. The steps move too fast, which I do not like. The thought that it is so easy to trip and fall, or get caught in them just makes me anxious.My hands go shakey, my breathing gets pretty b ad and I feel dizzy and sick.

August 4, 2009 at 5:34 am
(31) wendy says:

I am 49 years old and am petrified of down escalators, I gewt so angry with myself for being like this but just cant help it , My Husband and I are going on holiday at the end of September to Ireland and I looked ( foolish of me ) on the cork airport website and yes youv’e guessed it there are escalators there arghhhhh I will be fretting now until i get there my husband thinks I am silly as he says I have been down them before , that was in london when he was in front of me and my niece was behind, I was shaking like anything when I got off, There is a down escalator in M and S where I live so am going to try and work up courage to go down it I feel such a fool the worse thing if it went wrong would be it would stop then I would walk down it no problem so why why why wont I go when it is moving I feel I am missing out on so much !!!!!!!!!!!!

August 8, 2009 at 8:13 pm
(32) Helen says:

I am petrified by down escalators. I cannot see where to put my feet. I have strabismus, and therefore bad depth perception. I have a general fear of heights, which I think is because I cannot understand how high up I am – or not.
The current fashion for open plan glass walled buildings does not help.
I would love to see in 3D.

August 11, 2009 at 11:36 pm
(33) Erika S. says:

Someone left a comment before about escalator training??? Is there such a thing?? I too have a GREAT fear of going down escalators. I have a panic attack and I just can’t do it. But I really, really wanna overcome that fear. So is there such a thing as escalator lessons??

September 22, 2009 at 11:37 pm
(34) Kirsti says:

I am 17 and I cannot make myself go down an escalator. All of my friends are between 15-22 and they are all very understanding. Sometimes they make little jokes about it. I know its all in fun and they are all more than willing to walk down the Stairs or go on the Elevator with me. Your daughter shouldn’t feel embarrased. Hope This Helps

January 6, 2010 at 2:32 am
(35) luna says:

I’m 17, almost 18, and I can’t go down an escalator either. Although sometimes it can be annoying for them, my friends are usually understanding and will always take the elevator with me, or the stairs. So I don’t think you have to worry about her too much. As long as no one physical forces her to go down, she should be fine.

I’m curious though, is there a way to cure this fear? Because I’ve had it since I was 3 or 4, and I can tell that it frustrates people when I’m shopping or going somewhere. It’s also inconvenient, and I’d love to have this fear fixed.

August 13, 2010 at 10:39 pm
(36) Jedi's Hate Escalators says:

I hate escalators so much! Today, I went to a rather large mall, and it has plenty f**king escalators! I can go up, but down… Ooo, not a chance. I have been afraid of them since I was a kid. And plus it looks bad when a 19 year old guy can’t go down a simple escalator. I’m quite tall, and plus I have a BAD fear of heights, so everything messes up in a strange way I express. I hope that I can get over my fear nad be able to go down an escalator. My 17 year old dare-devil brother goes up the freaking down escalator! So he thinks I’m just crazy.

October 15, 2010 at 5:40 pm
(37) Chris says:

I’m 17 years old and since last year my fear of going down escalators has got worse and worse. It’s especially worst if there’s a big space on one or both sides of the escalator. Once I’m on I feel fine it’s just walking up to it and stepping on that I can’t do. I can’t work it out because I look at people on them and think that it doesn’t seem too bad but as soon as I approach one my legs start to shake and I start to sweat. It’s so horrible and I’m glad I’m not te only one, I’m planning on going to a place with escaltors early one morning just so I can practises and build my courage back up!

October 19, 2010 at 11:15 pm
(38) kitty says:

for as long as i can remember, i have had a fear of riding elevators and escalators, as well as climbing traditional staircases. on escalators, i have a sort of OCD ritual where i have to wait for the right step tostep on unless i’m being pushed onto it. i never lean or get too close to the ends of the rail and avoid holding onto it unless the fear really gets to me. i can get onto elevators but can’t touch the crack between the elevator and the wall or look in any direction but forward when going in. things get worse when it starts to move, its so bad i almost want to cry, especially in glass wall elevators like at the mall. a stupid fear that the elevator will free fall and kill me when i’m in the middle of the doors, and escalators will swallow me at any end of the stair case. for some reason i’m also afraid of vacuums for the same reasons. i just dont know what to do anymore. i can deal with all of it only cause i’d rather not be humiliated in public for something so stupid, but really it terrifies me to death and the nightmares that come with it come second compared to the real thing.

December 13, 2010 at 6:48 am
(39) Anonymous says:

my fear of esculators isn’t brought on by heights or eyesight problems, its because when i was younger, i an incident occured while using one…
when i was younger, i stepped forward on the down esculator and almost fell forward because my other foot didnt move… i done the splits and it was soooo embarrassing… unlike i should have done, the experience scared me and i didnt step on an esculator for years after, but just recently my friends and i are going to london and are going to use the tube which has no other alternative, last year we done the same thing and i felt like i spoiled their fun so this year i said to myself, ‘i am gonna use the esculator so i dont ruin their time again’ the first time i decided to use the up esculator and stared at it for about an hour building up my confidence, i had some friends in front because i was scared of falling forward and i had my strongest friend behind so she could catch me if i did fall. i kept on repeating this process over a couple of months and can now use the up esculator fine.
for the down esculator, i decided it was best to go on the esculator where the incident happened in the first place and conquer it head on, i did the same with my friends and successfully made it but the next time i tried i couldnt bring myself to do this. ii havnt been able to use the down since. i am going today with my strongest friend to help me learn the down esculator and will conquer it over time. i know that i can do it because i learned to go up and did go down once after the incident, i just have to trust myself, wait for a while to build up my confidence and have my friends their to support me all the way and most importantly… DON’T stop using the down esculator if i make it down again!!!

April 1, 2011 at 5:49 am
(40) mik says:

i’m 14 going 15 already and i’m terrified of escalators. Ever since i was kid! well maybe because my house had only 2 steps on the stairs so i never really got to interact with heights much… and that’s when i developed my fear of escalators (and heights!)…the only way i could overcome them was to hold my mom’s hand or count “one, two, three!” i’d actually have dreams of going down the escalators and just suddenly fall or lose balance! of course, that worsened my fear.
a couple of years after and I moved to another house with steep stairs and it helped my fear! every time i’d go to the mall i wouldn’t feel anything when going down the escalators but it came back like maybe a couple of weeks ago. i was so ready to go down that escalator but then i froze and ran to the stairs! gaah! that was really embarrassing! now the only way i can cope with it now is to hold someone’s hand (again), count “one, two, three!” (again), and look at people from afar that are going down the escalator! i try to keep myself going down those escalators again and again even though it’s like i’m gonna have a heart attack or something and it kinda helps!….
man! how do people NOT get afraid of going down those escalators?

August 30, 2011 at 5:59 pm
(41) Harry says:

I’m 16 and I have a fear of going down escalators. I have no problem with depth perception but I am scared of heights and I think that is where my fear comes from.

I will face a problem in a couple of months though, as I will be doing work experience at a newspaper in London and I will HAVE to use the down escalators on the London Underground at least twice a day.

I normally have no problem going up, but the last time I went on the Underground down escalator-which was around 5 years ago-I broke out in a cold sweat but I managed it.

So, to get me through the work experience week, I’m just gonna get on the escalator, keep my eyes focused dead ahead, grip the hand rail for dear life and think about something else, like counting in my head.

It works, I’ve used it before. :)

December 28, 2011 at 8:15 am
(42) Liz says:

I was just 4 or 5 years old the last time I went down an escalator but I was holding my dad’s hand. The last thing I remembered there were paramedics and a stretcher on the floor below us as we were going down the escalator. I had thought the woman they put On the stretcher fell down the escalator and was seriously injured and after that I had been terrified of going down ever since. I have no problem going up but when it comes to going down l. I freeze up and when someone tries to force me down I panic and cry and then I would have to take the elavator or stairs. My parents never got why i’ve been so afraid. Sometimes I dont know why I’m still scared. I’m 18 and for years this phobia has bothered me. I usually don’t tell people because the thought of ridicule has over come my mind. I know if I really thought about it for hours in end I’ll start to think differently. Don’t worry about your daughter, sometimes knowing you have full support from people you can trust usually helps the put the mind at ease

March 3, 2012 at 3:11 pm
(43) Valita says:

I’m 21 years old and have a big fear of escalators. I watch people going on it so calmly but for me i feel its like a big task :( I somehow manage to go up thanks to my mom but down oh no !!! when we come out of the mall i tell my mom ” next time we go to the mall i’ll learn how to go up and down an escalator” and when i’m near the escalator… dosen’t matter up or down i just freeze… don’t worry about your daughter i’m sure someday both of us will overcome this fear somehow

March 6, 2012 at 4:29 am
(44) Sabrina says:

I am 22 years old I have fear of going down escalators. I can go up a escalator with no problem but going down is something i cannot do. My fiance makes jokes about and imitates me about my fear of escalators Whenever i would go to a mall i would go and find a elevator i know most people would get annoyed by it because I choose not to go down a escalator

October 6, 2012 at 3:02 pm
(45) Angela jacob says:

So comforting to know I am not alone! This is a recent thing for me and today had an eye test – looking forward to seeing if it cures the problem or if it is a phobia! Will let you know when I pick up my specs next week!

October 19, 2012 at 3:32 pm
(46) specialchildren says:

Just a reminder to those posting here — read my article on fear of escalators for some thoughts on what might cause the problem.

November 11, 2012 at 6:54 pm
(47) S R says:

I don’t have a fear, per se, but the escalator does trip me out a little. As someone with strabismus, I find that I have to stop at the top and kind of time the rhythm, let 2 or even 3 steps pass before I get on. We just figured out about my strabismus issues a few years ago, and family used to tease me about my hesitation on escalators… Now it makes sense to them ;)

December 29, 2013 at 7:27 am
(48) livia says:

This is the best post I’ve read on the subject. There are methods of helping the problem though.