1. Parenting

Terri Mauro

Does Mady Gosselin Need Discipline, or a Diagnosis?

By March 5, 2009

My daughter's been watching a lot of Jon & Kate Plus 8 on TLC lately, and one kid who's caught my eye is Mady, one of twin big sisters to a group of sextuplets. She seems to always be the one tantruming, or walking off in a huff, or grabbing whatever attention she can get with six adorable rugrats underfoot.

Mady's caught a lot of eyes, apparently, and many are looking at her without much sympathy. The New York Post put her on its list of TV's "Top 10 Useless Characters." Others have suggested that she needs more discipline, or more parental guidance, or maybe a good swift kick. Then there are the viewers like me, who see a girl who acts up and earns the condemnation of onlookers and think of their own misunderstood kiddos. Could Mady have ADHD? Is she a spirited child? Is her inflexibility a sign of underlying psychological issues?

My understanding of reality-show filming and editing is that they shoot tons and then string together the good parts, so Mady could be an absolute angel most of the time and just get her few bad moments broadcast to the world. Any of us could look dysfunctional if someone tried hard enough. On the other hand, boy, you get a kid with a disability that impairs stress management, and you give her six baby siblings and overwhelmed parents and constant media exposure, and you sure do have a recipe for some out-of-control behavior.

If you're a fan of Jon & Kate Plus 8, what's your take on Mady? ADHD-y? Spirited? Or just insufferable? Share your thoughts in the comments.

Also new today: Site of the Day | Weekday Reflection | Tip of the Day

Photo of Kate Gosselin and assorted children by Amy Sussman/Getty Images

Comments
March 5, 2009 at 1:43 pm
(1) Holly says:

I don’t think this at all. I am a special needs teacher and work with children several disabilities: autism, mental impairments, ADHD, cerebral palsy, etc. I have seen many children with ADHD/ADD and I don’t think she displays these symptoms at all. It’s a classic case of her trying to get the attention that she needs being that she is only one of eight children. With that many children of the same age you’re going to have that kind of behavior. As far as discipline goes I feel that they’re doing very well. I’ve seen them place their children in time out and in Mady’s case giving her a “swift kick” as someone said will more than likely have a negative impact. Most of the time I think that they ignore her tantrums which is what seems to work the best. This is also what I do in the school system. The more attention the tantrums get negative or positive will only increase them. I think John and Kate do a wonderful job with their children!

March 6, 2009 at 2:30 am
(2) Jane says:

Mady definitely needs help. She’s miserably unhappy. She hates everything that ever happens. She had a fit at the beach, and a fit when told they were getting puppies! What normal child goes nuts at the beach and when they’re getting a puppy? The poor child is not capable of enjoying life. She needs to learn how. No child should grow up that miserable. Get that girl some help!

March 6, 2009 at 7:51 am
(3) Carol says:

Mady definitely needs help. Anyone who is “acting out” on a regular basis needs to see a counselor, if only to have a chance to learn how to verbalize her feelings.

March 6, 2009 at 11:03 am
(4) Helen Clark says:

With so much discussion regarding Mady, obviously it’s not just people being critical,
most of them see something to be concerned with. Perhaps the parents should at least acknowledge it might be a problem instead of just shrugging it off as they look into the
camera saying she hasn’t had enough rest or is
just in one of her moods. I’ve noticed the
six younger ones displaying signs that maybe living with ccameras, with their classmates and everyone watching and maybe teasing them isn’t just isn’t worth the public display.

March 6, 2009 at 4:24 pm
(5) Steph says:

Holly, I agree with you. Mady is a good kid who is just a bit spirited. She is a child who hasn’t quite mastered how to get her feelings across with a twin sister and six younger siblings. She just likes to be heard and has strong opinions. John and Kate are wonderful parents! I think they do a great job using time out and sometimes just ignoring the tantrums so that she doesn’t get any attention from them. If Mady gets attention from these tantrums, negative or positive, she will just do it more.

March 8, 2009 at 10:12 pm
(6) Kathy says:

I have an 11 year old daughter with ADD/ADHD and I’m also a Special Education teacher. I’ve wondered about Mady and her behavior for some time. I think Kate and Jon handle her difficult behavior extremely well but I’m beginning to think that it’s definitely something that needs some major intervention. Her tantrums occur way too often for a child her age. Kate is great about keeping routines and planning ahead yet Mady doesn’t seem to handle transitions easily and she appears to get sensory over-loaded. I wonder how she does at school? I seem to remember reading somewhere that Kate had commented that they were working on getting help with Mady’s behavior–not sure exactly how she worded it.

March 9, 2009 at 9:51 am
(7) Elizabeth says:

I think Mady is not handling the additional competition of her siblings. She seems to be very jealous of attention given to the sextuplets and perhaps in her mind, thinks she is not included. She is angry. Couple that with her need to be noticed and you have disaster. She should have help in coping with competition, transition and sensory overload.

March 10, 2009 at 12:25 pm
(8) Lynn says:

Wow! I never thought about this. I have too noticed her behavior but put it off as spoiled, bratty and sometimes just girl behavior. But…most of you are right. She’s never happy, or not that I’ve ever seen. Interesting!!

March 10, 2009 at 12:45 pm
(9) Keeslermom says:

Since the very beginning of the show I’ve wondered about Maddie and sensory processing disorder. 2 of my kids have this diagnosis and her behavior is all to familiar. I wish she had a great OT who could help out!

March 11, 2009 at 9:09 am
(10) Michiganmom says:

I believe Mady is a normal kid who is just testing her boundaries. I’ve seen much much worse behavior. Her behavior, though annoying to parents, seems to be normal. Come on people…kids have different personalities, and they are not all stepford children. If you believe her behavior is out of bounds, then you better take off the rose colored glasses, and go out in public more often. There are kids all over throwing tantrums, whining, screaming and crying. This is a normal developmental phase for kids. Open your eyes.

March 11, 2009 at 3:13 pm
(11) Julie says:

A friend of my has a child just like Mady – although she is 21 years old. She has displayed the exact behavior as Mady from the time she was very young. All is well in the world when this child is getting her own way. But when she doesn’t – watch out. She works hard to ruin everything that’s happening. And as Kate, this child’s mom tried to brush the behavior off as the child being tired, and even as having low blood sugar (bull). Throughout her years growing up she had a hard time making friends, was constantly using her tantrums to get her own way and to this day whines when things don’t go her way. If this behavior isn’t stopped when young, it continues into adulthood. I have never seen Kate put Mady in timeout like she does the little kids. This is a necessity. She should not give in to this behavior, or allow it. It’s time for some intervention. My friend wishes she had done it years ago.

March 11, 2009 at 7:18 pm
(12) Allison says:

Mady may be following the mantra of “negative attention is good attention because its better than no attention at all.” Mady seems to get frustrated with the chaos going on around her (lack of control). Like her mother. So, she lashes out with anger, crying, tantrums, etc. She needs more attention. Some children need that, and its ok. I like John and Kate and the rest of the kids. I think the whole family is really cute!

March 11, 2009 at 10:15 pm
(13) Rose Howse says:

I think Mady would benefit with counselling and spending time alone with a friend. My daughter was similiar to mady but now at age 25 and a 19 month of her own i find her a bit controlling over her baby. It’s like a circle because isn’t Kate very controlling. I think kate would benefit going back to work casual at least as i’m also a R.N.

March 14, 2009 at 4:28 pm
(14) marg says:

For what it is worth, I used to like the show but between watching Mady and Kate, I just can’t stand watching any more. Kate is such a controlling parent,and I mean way more than needed for order, it is no wonder Mady is imitating her. Kate doesn’t seem to be any more happy most of the time than Mady. I think that is why Kate acts most of the time like she doesn’t know what to do with Mady’s moods. I feel for her exhaustion but she is always on Jon’s case and doesn’t seem to ever respond to his joking around or easygoing ways with appreciation or lightening up.

March 15, 2009 at 5:45 pm
(15) Kiana says:

Mady is very similar to my daughter who is bi-polar. Every time I see her act up I cringe because it is too familiar. I do feel bad for her, if my daughter had that many siblings, she would have far more meltdowns and she already melts down enough.

March 19, 2009 at 12:20 am
(16) P. Moore says:

I have watched Jon & Kate since day one, and I must say honestly, I wanted to give mady a good spanking for her constant whining, and talking back to her parents. I think that she is very jealous of the smaller children and she feels that she is not getting the attention that they are. She constantly says, If the babies have this or that I want it too, or the babies get it why cant I.
Cara never complains about anything but mady, I think mady needs to act her age and realize she is not a baby anymore, she has 6 others to take her place and get used to it.

March 19, 2009 at 4:49 pm
(17) Dora says:

I think the parents are the ones with the problem. They have twins then they need sextuplets,they have sextuplets then they need a reality show, they have a reality show now they need twin German Shepherds.The parents are completely exploiting their kids by shoving mics and cameras in their little faces every day and making them live in a goldfish bowl for millions of viewers. Poor kid, I feel badly for her.

March 19, 2009 at 4:59 pm
(18) themrs says:

Is there such a thing as a “bully profile”? I have seen this same exact personality in a few kids I have known over the years. I think it will get worse as she ages if it is not stopped now. Has anyone read the “Queen Bee” book that Mean Girls was modeled on? A definite must for moms and dads of girls. Right on the money.

March 22, 2009 at 9:31 pm
(19) ... says:

this is to number 17, dora. you are completly wrong. thay didnt plan to have all those kids, it just happened. at least they aren’t like octo-mom with octuplets and 6 other kids under the age of 8

March 23, 2009 at 11:28 pm
(20) Janers says:

I can’t believe you are all hung up on Mady. Kate is the one who worries me. Mady will be fine. I am sure it is difficult having the cameras around and must be very stressful for all of them.

March 24, 2009 at 12:42 pm
(21) Nanny Wen says:

I think Mady is just MAD-y. I do have concerns for Aiden though.

March 28, 2009 at 1:29 am
(22) joan says:

I feel bad for Mady! Imagine constantly being criticized on national TV by none other than your parents. Image them sitting on that couch saying that’s “just how Mady is”, while Jon goes on special vacations with just Cara and the two always says how athletic and responsible Cara is.

If I were Mady I would resent my parents. Not to mention I would feel as if the camera were my enemy. And in a way they are – just google her name. Maybe she just acts out in front of the cameras because she feels that their against her. Mady is clearly the smartest of the bunch. She has an amazing vocabulary for her age and started reading very early. I think she realizes that her parents are using her and is resentful.

Free Mady and the Gosslelin 8!

March 29, 2009 at 3:15 pm
(23) Melinda says:

Mady just acts like her mother, so yes there is obviously an underlying psychological issue. Mom is a total whack job with OCD and NPD and god knows what other disorders.

Obviously the cameras and Truman Show type of life is going to cause added pressures in daily coping skills, and people with disorders need to minimize stress, not add to it the way the show obviously does. I hope they end the show soon for the sake of all of the children. Maddy needs some child therapy for sure, shes hurting.

March 29, 2009 at 8:49 pm
(24) Mary says:

I agree with the person who mentioned Sensory Processing Disorder. I have been researching this because my 7 yo son displays some of the characteristics. Ironically, I have often been reminded of my son’s behavior when watching Mady. I can see how sharing a house with 7 other siblings could complicate this.

I also agree that it could just be editing. My husband is a cameraman who has worked on a reality t.v. show and it is true that these shows are staged and edited for dramatic affect. Either way, we need to remember that kids have their own distinct personalities and issues. Not every problem can or needs be solved with “good old fashioned” discipline i.e. a swift kick. I have always been impressed with the way Jon and Kate have dealt with Mady, being a parent of a child who behaves similarly, I know it is not easy. You do the best you can and pray for God to give you wisdom. I pray for that for them as well.

April 5, 2009 at 8:50 pm
(25) Scott says:

I think we just need to ignore the kids and give the Special Needs Counselors a swift kick in the ….

April 10, 2009 at 5:50 pm
(26) Tamara says:

I can’t believe how many people are so capable of fully understanding family dynamics and diagnose anything from ADHD to sensory processing issues to bi-polar disorder when they see what? 30 hours out of what 5000 waking hours in a year of a family’s life?

And I’d like to vote for Jarett Wieselman for the number one useless faux journalist for putting Mady Gosselin on his stupid list as well as for saying parents would choose to have genetic testing and eradicate her if it were an option.

From what I see at the glimpse we get of their lives, they keep things pretty normal considering they have 8 kids and are being filmed. Mady is who she is. Kids can get angry and not be satisfied with everything that goes on their lives with having a diagnosis.

April 16, 2009 at 2:10 pm
(27) cyndi126 says:

I was a fan of Jon and Kate plus 8, but I watched Kate go from a simple, classic, traditional mom to an egocentric, OCD, person moe interested in money and fame than her kids. In many episodes Kate has said negative, austic things about Mady and been overly punitive with her, and Jon has occassionally. In my opinion(and I have a husband and 2 kids with ADD), Mady has ADD and maybe even OCD due to Kate, who may have one or both. I also think the kids don’t seem very happy now with constant filming and this isn’t a normal environment for kids to grow up in..It meets the parents needs, not the childrens. As you may know, many people are sick of kate and want the show of Kate and want the show off the air….Mady does need help, but she also needs kind, hugs, unconditional love and fun with her parents….And the aggressive behavior that kate and Jon allow with thier kids, isn’t acceptable!!!Since Kate is gone from home most of time and they have a nanny, maybe the kids will finally get the mothering they deserve!!!!!

April 21, 2009 at 5:55 pm
(28) Beth says:

It’s difficult to admit, however Mady’s behavior reminds me of myself.
I had extreme issues with being a child. As far as i can remember i never enjoyed playing the role of a little girl. i always wanted to be taken seriously, and most importantly to be treated as an equal to adults. (guess how often that happened?) therefore, i was miserable for most of my childhood.
That need to be independent caused major emotional problems for me relating to my family. I would always put up walls between me and family members because i didn’t want that type of relationship- i wanted to establish myself; to be autonomous. I rejected everything about being part of a family unit.
Now that i am an adult, it’s a non-issue. Looking back on my childhood, i regret that behavior and wish i would have been able to let my guard down and enjoy life.
I also think Maddy is a bit of a romantic. She wants her life to be like a fairy-tale. She throws tantrums on her birthday, on vacations, and whenever there is a big secret surprise- i think it’s very clear to see that when the fairy-tale she built up in her head bursts, she also bursts.
It saddens me to see Maddy living her life this way, because i know how much it sucks and how much she’ll regret it later on.
However, it’s impossible to give her perspective.. she needs to gain that through life experience, and i’m confident that she will.

April 21, 2009 at 9:39 pm
(29) Brittany says:

Mady is the worst child I have ever seen in my entire life. She is an obnoxious brat. She is so poorly disciplined and parented that I seriously have to change the channel. You know what I think Mady needs? I good hard spanking. Mady needs more than just discipline, she needs punishment. She needs to know that if she continues to act the way she does, her life will be miserable. I can see that stupid little girl rebelling when she is a teenager and developing drug and alcohol problems, at the least an eating disorder. She will obviously have personality problems her entire life. If I ever saw her I would tell her what a detestable little brat she is and when she starts crying, screaming, throwing a fit and being an ingrate, I would punch her in the face.

April 22, 2009 at 9:24 pm
(30) Dave says:

My problem with Mady, and maybe my perspective is different–as a man, as someone without children, and as someone who is not a doctor–is not just that she craves attention, but that she doesn’t want anyone else to have it either.

The most bothersome words I’ve heard her say, and forgive me as I’m not a regular watcher of the show, is when they were getting puppies. Mady said something to the effect of, “I want a puppy that only loves me”.

It wasn’t good enough that the puppy love her and that she loves the puppy. She demanded a puppy that only love her. That would worry me.

April 22, 2009 at 9:29 pm
(31) Dave says:

As to Brittany in post 29, I think it’s far worse to see someone post the garbage you have about an eight year old girl. Do you honestly think that’s appropriate? What should someone who reads your post say/do to you upon seeing you in person?

April 28, 2009 at 5:00 pm
(32) Chris says:

Im with Dave (31) to Brittany (29)–If that were my child you just referred to as “a stupid little girl”, you and I would have some serious issues, and I’ve never had a violent bone in my body, but I felt compelled to slap your “stupid” head for saying something so cold and careless.

As for little Mady, in front of cameras is no way for any child to grow up-there are other ways of earning a living to support such a large family-don’t get me wrong-I don’t have an issue with the quantity of children they have-Im just saying we are all different-with different personalities and needs, and its hard enough to be a child these days, needing love and attention without sharing it with 7 other brothers and sisters the same age–and as a parent I don’t see how they could fairly disburse the right amount of love and attention to each child that suits that child’s individual needs–Im at a loss-its no wonder this child is acting out-she made it clear by saying “I want a puppy that loves only me”, how sad is that. They need to get America out of these children’s faces so we can find something better to discuss and debate then someone elses parenting skills and/or behavior issues without knowing the whol truth..CNN anyone?

May 6, 2009 at 4:34 pm
(33) Charlene says:

They need to stop the show. It was fine for awhile, and Mady has always been a nasty little thing, but even Cara is getting mean. It’s too hard on the kids. Stop the insanity and let them have a life! When people have children, they have to be put first. Surely Kate has enough money by now??

May 8, 2009 at 8:13 pm
(34) Kathryn says:

Mady should be in counseling if she isn’t. She often refers to when they were a “family of four” – i.e before the sextuplets were born. I think she resents the children and the attention and focus that is placed on them. Probably a very natural reaction to an unnatural life but to give the kid a chance she needs to understand how to handle all of the feelings she has. She takes it out in small ways now but it is going to continue growing, IMO.

May 8, 2009 at 9:14 pm
(35) PJ says:

Mady needs an excorcist. I think she’s the most horrible child I have ever seen. She hits and kicks the little ones when she thinks no one is looking. The when they tell and she’s asked about it; she lies and says they hit her. The little ones love her and it’s so pathetic she’s such a horrible child. She is self centered and knows right from wrong. She deliberately lies. Jealousy = Hate

May 12, 2009 at 2:08 pm
(36) Sarah says:

Mady is miserable and watching her is a miserable experience. I believe she is just sad because her life is a circus.

May 13, 2009 at 8:57 pm
(37) Alexis says:

You know what?!?! She is beautiful and the most best person ever!! She is fine!! Leave her be, she does NOT need help!!

May 15, 2009 at 9:31 pm
(38) susan says:

Wow…some really angry people on here! I haven’t watched the show enough to have an opinion on Mady…but just from this article I feel for her!

I think anyone subjecting their kids to this kind of lifestyle should insist on therapy as a must! These kids never asked for this life. The parents need to quit being kids themselves and step up for their kids. Mom is off on a book tour and dad’s finding comfort where he can….is it any wonder these kids are acting out? Come on! But I think a Psychiatrist should do the diagnosing, not us.

May 16, 2009 at 11:19 am
(39) Trista says:

Mady has commented that she’s mad because Cara is the oldest and then along come the sextuplets. She’s caught in the middle and is trying to find her way. However, she does misbehave frequently, trying to get attention. However, she isn’t sneaky about it. The sneaky one is Hannah — who Kate has already confessed to being closer to.

May 17, 2009 at 12:08 am
(40) JANET says:

I think Mady is very resentful of the 6 little ones. I think this is quite understandable. Many older children are jealous of “the new baby”, and Mady had to contend with 6!, not to mention all the camera crew etc. I think she is overwhelmed by it all. I think counseling is in order.

May 17, 2009 at 8:55 pm
(41) lisa says:

This child is in dire need of help now if not sooner….Uncontrolable …badly in need of some form of discipline…very unlikable….I would surelu handle her ina more disciplined manner. Do something with this child!!!!!!!!

May 18, 2009 at 9:24 am
(42) Stephanie says:

I honestly believe it is just her personality. My daughter acts like Mady sometimes and she is an only child. I think it is just their personalities. Overall my 11 year old is a very good kid, she just has her little meltdowns once in a while. I use to wonder if it was because she is an only child, but watching Mady makes me think that it is just their way of dealing with life.

May 19, 2009 at 12:58 pm
(43) Paula says:

Mady seems to have bi-polar tendencies. I believe her parents are in denial about her behavior, calling her a drama queen or spirited. I have seen her act out against the world by physically abusing her siblings, having terrible outbursts, being jealous and throwing things. She does not seem to have away to deal with her frustrations. At other times, she seems happy and even cute, but the next moment, she is miserable. I fear she may one day seriously hurt one of the younger children. I watched in horror as she repeated kicked her younger sister on camera for being in her room. I think she needs to see a therapist for testing and diagnosis and treatment as soon as possible along with her seriously disturbed mother.

May 20, 2009 at 11:34 am
(44) Carol says:

As far as Mady goes,she is very spoiled as they all are,but most of all,I think all the camera’s and people there most of the time is not good for anyone but especialy children.They do not lead a normal life at all.Kate is a lousy mother.

May 21, 2009 at 3:10 pm
(45) Amy says:

I agree with Trista (39). I also think Hanna is the sneaky one. I think that Hannah will turn out just as bad or worse than Mady. She is very mean to her siblings when the parents aren’t looking. I think she will turn out just as horrible or even worse than Mady who is a nightmare.

May 23, 2009 at 10:55 pm
(46) Lauren says:

Granted she is a young child with lots of brothers and sisters, I’m sure it’s for attention. However watch the show and she can be very sassy and mean – Which her parents need to correct. Or these horrible outburst will continue.

Besides the show needs to come off the air anyways. So the parents can give them a normal life-and they can stop getting SO MANY hand outs.

May 24, 2009 at 4:51 am
(47) donna says:

Does a kind child stomp on her sisters head? Or comment on how she accidently stabbed someone with her pencil? Hitting and lying about it?She started kicking alexis until she fell to the ground then started stomping on her head! She is a bullyas nd behavior like that is not controlled by a time out.I think alexis will have problems too because she is always referred to as the wild one worst one loudest one and all in front of her.Can’t wait to see her act those labels out in life. ALso I think joel has shown a few homosexual tendacys already too. Says he is a girla nd likes make up and nail polish and dressing up. Did anyone else pick up that and jon’s response and kate laughing it up ass all so funny…all of it she has laughed it all off as funny.She needs a wake up call and to quite the show and be a full time mom.They have enough and will continue to receive money from the books and shows in reruns and dvd sales.heal your kids and your marriage if they are your first priority.

May 24, 2009 at 8:50 pm
(48) CKKTSS says:

Apparently everyone posting a comment is a psychiatrist because they are all diagnosing a child they have never even met with really severe disorders. No, Mady does not display bipolar symptoms, and if you actually knew what bipolar disorder is you wouldn’t make such claims. Her behavior and reactions are not akin to a chemical imbalance. If anything she displays symptoms of sensory processing or an emotional disorder. I have bipolar disorder, I am 38, and I NEVER acted or reacted the way she does to anything. She doesn’t have ADD or ADHD either, and if you’d take the time to research what these actually are then you’d know that. What is unfortunate is that Mady clearly needs intervention. I’m a college teacher and if when I have students with remnants of this kind of childhood behavior, it makes it difficult for the entire class. I can’t imagine how hard it would be for grade schoolers.

May 24, 2009 at 11:30 pm
(49) cc says:

Geez! A kid likes to see and touch his mom’s painted toenails, and is attracted to colorful make-up — and therefore is a homosexual at age 4?

That’s lunacy.

The whole family enjoys “dressing up.” Do you not remember the “fashion show”? I don’t think I heard the line about Joel claiming to be a girl, but that doesn’t seem so odd to me — after all, he is one of three boys who have five sisters, including two who are older than he is! He seems to me to be very comfortable with his brothers and Jon — or do you take that as an odd sign, too?

Get your mind in a kinder place, and don’t go presuming troubles unless you have some real knowledge (and preferably that of a physician/therapist who has actually interviewed the child)!

c

May 25, 2009 at 9:54 am
(50) mby says:

I feel so bad for Mady. She is forced to do so many things just because Kate is so controlling…. hair wrap, wear mickey ears that bother her, trips that she obviously can’t handle. Most kids don’t have to travel that much. She is being asked to do things that make her uncomfortable. She is very bright and probably the most like Kate. She is not happy, but neither is Kate. When she turned 7, she said that she couldn’t wait to be 8. Kate is never satisfied either. Kate had to have a puppy all for herself and now she doesn’t even like the dogs. Kate liked her first wedding, but she always wanted to get married in Hawaii. Kate was sad on the Dumbo ride because she couldn’t see every one of her kids enjoy it at the same time. Why not just enjoy the two kids that you have with you? Mady was happiest when she was hula dancing. Let her take a dance class all by herself, no siblings. Develop her talents and her interests. She has a pretty singing voice as well. Mady needs to do something by herself and away from the cameras. I think at one time that Kate said they would stop doing the show if they ever felt like it was not good for the kids. It is time to stop the show.

May 25, 2009 at 3:04 pm
(51) Robin says:

Mady made the comment on one show that every day is a bad day. I think there are just some deeply unhappy children in this world. NOTHING seems to make her happy. She TELLS adults she is walking off… in public. I am sorry. Eight kids or not, that kind of behavior can not be ignored. She needs to be reaquainted with who the adults are and who the CHILD is. The very best thing that was done as far as discipline was when they were in San Diego and they left her behind, because she was sooo disagreeable with their plans. That was the first time they just said, “you are not going to ruin our day.” FINALLY!!!! Meltdowns??? Kate calls them “meltdowns?” I call them eruptions capable of being given a seismic rating. I have never said that about a child before. It makes me sad.

May 26, 2009 at 4:34 pm
(52) Angel says:

In the discipline episode, They mentioned that Mady gets more time outs than any of the kids. I’ve seen effective discipline on Jon and Kate’s part. While I’m praying that I never have a child with extreme insecurity issues, I can relate to her in a way. I too am the second oldest of 8 kids, and I ALWAYS felt like I wanted more attention. My worst outburst was at age 5 when I bashed my head into a wall and said my sister did it, to get attention. But I think it all worked out in my teen years. I’m likeable now! I hope that things work out with this beautiful family, and that Mady finds herself in the chaos.

May 26, 2009 at 6:36 pm
(53) jessica says:

mady may have a temper but she is still just a little girl. how would u feel if you had not only a twin sister that other people are always trying to compare u 2. but also there are 6 younger ones who also need attention. i’m not saying that she’s not a brat but their are so many people who r constantly at her house. she constantly has cameras in her face. papparazzi following the poor kid around every where she goes. that has to be hard on her. but she also does need to be nicer to the younger kids at times too. she just wants a little more attention at times. now she has to deal with her parents possibly getting a divorce, thats only going to make it worse.

May 28, 2009 at 10:03 am
(54) Kiki says:

Mady and her parents need professional help in dealing with the young girl’s behavior. There are clearly significant issues that need to be addressed but cannot be adequately diagnosed based on video snippets. Mady is not simply going through a difficult time and will not “grow out of” this type of behavior without serious interventions. Maybe the first step would involve getting her off TV and reducing the attention she gets for acting out. Of course that would mean sacrificing a part of the cash cow…somehow, I don’t think this is the kind of solution Kate would “buy” into.

May 28, 2009 at 7:40 pm
(55) Bianca says:

you guys… just leave her alone! shes just a 8 year old girl! i kno sometimes she can be mean to her siblings but that doesnt mean she does it to everyone! shes not bratty, shes mady!

May 29, 2009 at 2:06 am
(56) noni says:

no-one in the world is “great parents”..everyone has flaws and now with pending separation of parents, the kids will act up and get emotional

god help them all!

May 29, 2009 at 11:38 am
(57) A Caring Nurse says:

I really believe Mady is the adult in that house. She has been forced to grow up too fast because of a mother that desires to be an actress and flit all over the US selling her book of lies and DVD’s to the public. Kate is the one that needs help, she is narcissistic and selfish. She claims to have OCD, however, someone with OCD doesn’t leave their bed unmade all day long nor do they spill something and grab a half of roll of paper towels, throw it in the middle of the mess and laugh as they walk away saying, “So what, we’re moving anyway.” Kate has maids, nannies (that she likes to call “helpers”) and a husband who was with the children more than she was. Mady doesn’t need help, KATE does. Quit the “aldergator” tears too Kate, the public isn’t buying it anymore. Has anyone noticed that the day after the 1 hour revelation of what is really happening aired the DVD’s were on sale for 40% off?

May 30, 2009 at 2:56 am
(58) Pamela Wilson says:

Cameras follow the family quite a few hours each day, and someone edits it all down into what we see on the show.

I watch occasionally if I have a spare 20 minutes, so I’m sure I have a much different view of the family than those who watch the whole show, or a different set of 20 minute interludes, but everyone involved comes across as an individual with good and bad days, their own ‘special needs’ and personalities, and ways they cope with being in a big family and/or with cameras involved.

I cannot condemn parents for allowing cameras in their home and edited events to be shared with us as their audience ~ every segment I see gives me a great deal to think about no matter what the family has been shown doing that day.

Long ago I found that I could tolerate and/or understand other people’s choices easily when I considered them friends, that would have been beyond my capacity to accept if they were strangers. These children are growing up in a family that would have been extraordinary even without cameras in their lives.

I wish all the best for each of them, and believe that it’s more likely they have had and will continue to have the support and encouragement they need because their lives have been open to us.

Almost every time I watch the show, I see something that *could* be a symptom of a diagnosis that my son or one of his classmates has had. When my son developed insulin dependent diabetes at the age of 7, I discovered that the symptoms of dangerously low blood sugar were very much like the symptoms of being a 7 year old boy. His sister and his classmates seemed to be able to tell the difference – me and other adults, not at all.

That being said, most parents I know would sign right up if there were an option available to put the kids in a safe (and learning enriched) deep freeze for six months or a year just to see whether we could pick up the threads of our lives before we had children, or to see who we might have been without the daily tug on our psyches that each child seems to be.

Most children can demonstrate that they are awful kids just like parents can be awful moms or dads depending on the circumstances and/or their stamina. So what? None of us was perfect as a child and none is perfect as an adult. A ‘good spanking’ would not change that for the better and neither would sarcasm, name-calling and criticism. Why even consider strategies that don’t work?

May 30, 2009 at 7:52 am
(59) Leslie Quinn says:

I have watched this show from the beginning. While I used to enjoy it, I soon started being very irritated by Kate’s abusiveness, Mady’s tantrums and problems. It became more and more difficult to watch as the shows became more and more about Kate and John and what free service they were having done for them. I started noticing the changes in Kate’s AND John’s behavior. The fighting, the sarcasm, the unhappiness. Soon it was rubbing off on the children. It became intolerable to watch, yet I cared so much for this family. It began to hurt to see Cara sitting apart from the family, looking unhappy or in a world of her own. While Mady is able to vent her anger, Cara usually does not. So, I worry about Cara, as well. And I worry for Mady because her behavior IS unacceptable. But then, so is Kate’s. Kate’s poor behavior has become evident in the 6 younger kids as well as in Mady’s. I worry for each child in this family and what their parents have done to them. In the face of a probable divorse, it is even MORE painful to watch. Truly, I wish I had never started watching, that they had never started filming, that the parents had never gotten so filled with their own celebrity, & their hunger for money that they are now too blind to how unhappy all of the children really seem. I do NOT trust that Kate will stop filming no matter HOW unhappy or how much damage is done to the very ones she claims to love the most….it just hurts so very much to see this family self-destruct before our very eyes. Reminds me of when the shuttle exploded in the atmosphere on it’s launch into space. Sad, very sad. I wish there was a way to stop them……

June 1, 2009 at 5:46 pm
(60) Sierra Adams says:

I dont think mady gosselin has anything wrong with her at all.She just tries to get the attention she needs being only one of eight children.I think as far as disipline goes Jon and Kate are doing a great job .Mady is really a very sweet girl with a very kind heart.

June 1, 2009 at 5:58 pm
(61) Courtney Adams says:

I totally agree with Sierra Adams [60]
Mady is just trying to get the attention she needs only being one of eight children. As far as disipline goes Jon and Kate are doing a great job. Mady is really a very sweet girl with a very kind heart.

June 3, 2009 at 10:28 am
(62) Marie says:

I can’t help but think that right now Mady could use a kind grandmother to spend some special time with (alone!). Too bad her mother has managed to cut off contact with both of Mady’s grandmothers.

June 3, 2009 at 3:30 pm
(63) Chantal C says:

Brat…. end of.

June 3, 2009 at 3:33 pm
(64) Erin Master says:

I wish I had a child just like her, she kind of reminds me of my boyfriend.

June 3, 2009 at 3:38 pm
(65) Aicha G says:

Sometimes when i’m watching i wait for the part where her head spins around like Linda Blair. Sometimes….

June 5, 2009 at 4:30 am
(66) maggie says:

I think Mady had severe problems. I wouldn’t even have to watch the TV show to come to that conclussion. Her own mother (Kate Gosselin) on national TV has stated the following comments about her own daughter. 1)Mady had severe jealous issues 2)Mady says EVERDAY day of her life is the worst day of her life. 3)Mady has trouble with authority figures 4)Mady lies a lot 5)Mady doesn’t get along with her siblings 6)Mady said on CBS Morning Show she doesn’t like her siblings 7)Kate berates (along with the dentist) how terrible Mady’s teeth are. Even showed her X-rays blown up on the TV screen. Kate was “horrified” when she looked in Mady’s mouth because her teeth were so bad.8) Mady is physically abusive. She is going to read and google her name one day. And all the ugly comments and labels Kate gave her are going to be in stone (DVD’s &reruns). I think the nation will hear of Mady Gosselin again in many years to come and it will be very negative news to be sure.

June 6, 2009 at 8:31 am
(67) June says:

Poor Mady. Her biggest problem is the complete lack of discipline in her home. Children are allowed to get away with all kinds of bad behavior towards each other, as long as they are clean and don’t make a mess. Tantrums at 8 years old? I never tolerated tantrums at any age. I also never tolerated hitting each other, impoliteness or a host of other bad behaviors you see in the Gosselin children all the time. I would love to go into that home and give those parents some parenting lessons as well as give the kids the love and discipline they lack. Structure does not equal discipline. Bad behavior needs to be stopped, not ignored.

June 8, 2009 at 9:26 am
(68) Cheryl says:

I think Mady is smart and savvy. She understands what a sham the show has become and doesn’t want to be a part of it. After the birthday party, when Kate wanted a family picture, Mady did not want to participate in perpetuating what we now know is a false representation. Kudos to her for being real. Mady has guts and that is to be admired.

June 8, 2009 at 9:37 am
(69) Cheryl says:

Mady is also compassionate. When Kate and all the kids were on a morning show, Alexis was arguing a bit with one of the boys. Kate grabbed her shoulder, much too roughly (as she previously had done to Mady on a trip), and Alexis was sitting there rubbing her shoulder and arm. Mady reached out to comfort her.

Mady is also very honest. When they were all asked if Kate was as “great mom”, no one responded but Mady. She stated Kate was a good mom, but “we all like Daddy better”. The truth of Mady’s statement is evidenced by just watching the interaction of the children with each of their parents. I’m sure she paid for that statement later. But, like I said in my previous post, Mady has guts and I wish her all the best in the world.

June 8, 2009 at 4:08 pm
(70) jill says:

Mady is smart and kind. Whens he wants to be. Mady is a normal girl but being only one of eight she is likely to get jealous or angry that is normal. Sometimes Mady could behave better, but sometimes she is just so sweet.
Go Mady!!

June 8, 2009 at 10:25 pm
(71) Mary says:

Mady does what she does because she can. When the Gosselins found out they were pregrant with the sextuplets, their reaction was “Oh, what have we done to the twins.!” Seems like guilt has spurred Kate on to give in to Mady. Mady learned very early that she could manipulate her mother to get her way. Kate has created the “monster” in Mady. I feel sorry for Mady’s future husband. He will feel like Jon.

June 14, 2009 at 12:29 am
(72) Heather A, says:

I totally agree with Dave (#30). She has some sort of deep-rooted resentment of the others.

June 15, 2009 at 5:44 pm
(73) Jessie says:

None she just want attention I mean you woul d to if you were 1/8 kids. I for one feel sorry for her

June 16, 2009 at 7:06 pm
(74) D says:

I wonder if Mady has Asperger’s. I know someone whose child has it and Mady seems to show some of the same symptoms: tantrums, walking off in huffs, constantly crying, etc.

June 18, 2009 at 1:57 pm
(75) shads says:

Does anyone else wonder just how Mady paid for that comment? We all know with Kate’s control problems, she did. I would love to know what goes on in that house when the cameras are not rolling.

June 20, 2009 at 3:30 pm
(76) Lindsay says:

I agree with Marg’s comment (#14). Especially with the new season, I can’t really stand watching it anymore because of Kate and Mady’s behavior. I feel bad saying so because Mady is just a kid, but she seems to take after Kate…and not in a good way. I don’t think anything is wrong with her persay, she’s just a little bratty and vying for attention. Jon and the other kids are much more tolerable, and even enjoyable to watch. I think it’s a shame they have decided to continue the show when it’s obviously causing such a strain on the family…there’s no way it’s healthy for the kids to be in the spotlight at this point.

June 23, 2009 at 11:52 pm
(77) REBECCA says:

I THINK THE SHOW SHOULD BE STOPPED! KATE AND JON CHOOSE TO HAVE THAT MANY CHILDREN AND THEREFORTH THEY SHOULD HAVE TO HOLD DOWN REAL JOBS TO SUPPORT THE CHILDREN. THEY ARE USING THESE CHILDREN TO SUPPORT THEM. BEING EXPOSED TO THE CAMERAS, ETC. IS NOT NORMAL SETTING FOR THESE CHILDREN AND ACTUALLY IF YOU THINK ABOUT IT, THESE CHILDREN REALLY DO NOT KNOW TO REFUSE TO THESE SHOWS AS THAT IS ALL THEY KNOW.

June 24, 2009 at 11:19 am
(78) Alex says:

Mady is an intensely bright, bluntly honest child, who is totally in touch with her feelings and don’t pretend or hide. To the commenter (29), you have a serious problem. You sound like the kind of person who (should) end up either in mental hospital or jail.

June 24, 2009 at 11:26 am
(79) J D says:

Of course they like daddy better. Jon would rather be a kid and a friend to the kids than a dad. Kate at least trys to keep things going. Mady is just a child and acts out as all do, unless your child was perfect.
Jon needs to grown up and act like a parent and take on some of the responsiblity. He has to get away after staying with the kids for awhile when Kate was gone. Couldn’t take it so he decided to play with the other young kids, oh wait they were over 21. He is selfish and wants to run away from his responsibilites. Kate will be left to raise the kids alone. Thank goodness she can afford help.

June 24, 2009 at 8:40 pm
(80) Shelly Wilson says:

I think Mady is a spoiled brat. Her tantrums go unnoticed but she is the one kid who stands out as far as behavior. when I was a kid I would have NEVER been allowed to display such behavior. She makes me want to smack her! She needs a good swift kick in the pants. Kate is so together on everything, why can’t she see this??? She just got in trouble for spanking one of the sextuplets, but NEVER was seen disciplining Mady. Kate, WAKE UP!!

June 24, 2009 at 9:49 pm
(81) bichonmom` says:

Mady is depressed. She is emotionally labile and cries at the drop of a hat. She needs counseling ASAP – especially since her parents’ marriage fell apart on TV.

June 25, 2009 at 5:16 pm
(82) judy says:

mady should be on “The View”

June 29, 2009 at 8:53 am
(83) Misery says:

Cara and Mady are twins – but Cara is a well-behaved young lady that doesn’t want to make a spectacle (sp) of herself 24/7. Mady on the other hand is a different story. She really needs some guidance AND discipline. She DOES take after Kate, and as I see it, is the only one that demands attention all the time – and if she doesn’t get it, she will act up. Pity – with the family divorcing – who KNOWS what devastating traumas she will be experiencing – especially if there are no cameras recording all her actions.

July 2, 2009 at 12:06 am
(84) Ames says:

For god’s sake…leave the poor girl alone! She doesn’t have a disability or any mental problems…she’s just a normal eight year old girl who obviously needs some extra attention. It’s not uncommon for some kids to need some extra attention than others.

I’ll admit that when I first saw the show, I thought Mady was a bit on the bratty side…but after talking with a friend of mine who is a teacher from the school the twins go to and who actually knows Mady personally, I’ve learned that Mady is a very bright, intelligent girl who just needs a little extra attention than her sister Cara does. My friend even said that if she could spend a day with one of the twins, she’d pick Mady over Cara because at least Mady would talk to you and hold interesting conversations, while Cara would be business-like and too shy to talk.

People should be ashamed of themselves for thinking the worst of kids they don’t even know…the only people who should perhaps be judged are their selfish parents, not innocent kids who aren’t even characters on a TV show, but actual people.

July 2, 2009 at 12:00 pm
(85) Lori says:

Well of course who can diagnose off of what we see on tv? But I can say from personal experience with our own family…Mady’s actions appear identical to our son who was diagnosed with ADD 12 years ago. We went thru the gammet of emotions and research: treat with herbs and behavioral therapy, etc, etc. Bottom line: after seeing my child suffer the consequences at school as well as home, we finally gave in and medicated him- talk about guilt! But the results were dramatic and he became a much, MUCH happier and capable little boy. He still takes meds to this day. I say to the Gosselin parents: have her checked by a professional, before your denials really have a major effect on HER self esteem. Your entire family dynamics will change and you will see a happier, capable child. And please, people…this is not an advertisement to medicate difficult children….only if you have been thru this heartbreak can you really understand! Meds were (and still are) the LAST thing I want my child on for years and years. But ADD/ADHD is a REAL diagnosis and medicine can truly makes a difference in a diagnosed child’s life.

July 6, 2009 at 10:43 pm
(86) Lauren says:

This is the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard!!!!…even if she did have ADHD why would it be of your concern…thAt is CRAZY!

July 16, 2009 at 4:04 pm
(87) Em says:

She’s 9 years old! What do you expect with 7 other siblings?!

July 21, 2009 at 9:54 am
(88) kim tenbroeck says:

I have always been a fan of the twins. Since the start of the show it was obvious to me that these 2 adorable children need more hugs and attention..My heart breaks for them and the crazy life they lead. Its all about the other 6 children who by the way are adorable and also very special. It is easy to sit and criticize the children and there behaviour habits. No matter how you feel about Kate i honestly feel that she is doing the best she can. She is doing a very good job of it. It seems to me that she did not have much help from Jon at all.As we can see now, he is just as much a child as the children that he has.

July 23, 2009 at 12:46 pm
(89) Kat says:

My mom was an OT for kids,so I learned a lot about ADHD, sensory processing etc. etc. And I agree with KeeselerMom.
PS NannyWen, what worries you about Aaden?

July 24, 2009 at 5:55 pm
(90) kay says:

Have our lives become such that we need to reflect on the behavior of a child on tv?

August 5, 2009 at 7:07 pm
(91) tom riddle says:

are you seriously judging an eight year old? That’s pathetic. It is normal for the age

August 8, 2009 at 2:33 pm
(92) Cherylynn says:

Mady obviously is a child who will never just fade into the background! She DOES want and need attention, and she DOES seem to get it from her parents and also from pretty much everyone around her as well.

Mady became increasingly annoying to me as the episodes continued. I felt bad for Cara who always seemed to have to give in to Mady. I also felt bad for Cara who behaved better but didn’t get much praise or attention for doing so!

As the new season begins, I see Mady as a somewhat calmer child than she was before. I think of all the children, Mady MUST have been feeling the stress between her parents pretty deeply and reacted more negatively BECAUSE of it.

Mady apparently was “the canary in the coal mine” in that she early on was exhibiting LOTS of stress symptoms. She KNEW that things were NOT going well in the family! I just didn’t pick up on that!

I’m hoping that Mady will continue to de-stress, and quite possibly we will see a much different child.

August 19, 2009 at 9:45 pm
(93) abyosg says:

You must watch the episode of ” The twins turn 6 “, a trip to NYC, american girl store, it is obvious that she has a serious problem, she is just like her mother……

August 24, 2009 at 10:01 pm
(94) Sylvia says:

I agree that Mady needs help. As for Kate, I can understand why she needs to be in control. Jon always acts like he’s on a strong sedative. When you have a husband that seems to be someplace else, you have to be in control with 8 kids.
Seems like now even more so, Jon is having a identity crisis. It’s like with kids and T.V. were not his thing. Back to Mady, every show she has a melt down. Now she will need help even more with her parent’s divorce. She will see less of each parent.

September 28, 2009 at 10:07 pm
(95) suzeq says:

are we still talking about mady. Kate is soooo guilty of being selfish, and affected by her new found wealth. Did anyone see the episode when they went to Disney. Did you notice how many times Kate complained very clearly, about 8 times, that she just hated her camera. All she has to do is mention something she wants, and the show, or people watching the show gets it for them. Kate is greedy, and hateful. Have you also noticed how other people in her close circle are only good for doing something for Kate…What happened to her brother, and aunt Jodie? They were so sweet. Kate did’nt want to have them paid by TLC for appearing on the show, so out goes another family member. Wheres Kates mother???She got rid of her too. Mady is now a clone of Kate, and I do not see a good future for her. She is physically abusive to the little kids, and it makes me sick how they don’t see it. Jon definately kept doing for kate. Don’t you remember, he bathed the kids, her dressed them most always. He was always running around doing something for the kids or Kate, and she never appreciated anything he did.She made a fool of her self degrading Jon’s hair thinning his weight how he talked. She even said, Jon quit mumbling. She screamed at him at Toys R Us, to the point of humiliating him. What would you guys do out there, if your wife belittled you constantly. I can not count how many times she rolled her eyes, and said to the film crew, do you see what I have to put up with??? She is so mental, that I think we will see some horrific stuff happen to those poor kids. I can not believe I’m writing all this. I didn’t realize how angry I felt about her. Dear God, please, for the sake of the kids. Stop filming their lives. It will make things worse for Mady especially. Does Kate not realize how child stars go to drugs and other things when they grow up, and no one cares about Jon and Kate plus 8, because they won’t be cute little kids anymore, and people can not stand watching this much longer. Does anyone ever tell that woman what shes doing to their lives???? Some one needs to rescue those kids with some serious help.

October 6, 2009 at 5:33 pm
(96) maya says:

gosh y r u guys all ganging up on kate hu
u guys just try to raise up 8 children if u had u guys would have to complain more than once on how hard it is and how difficult
but she loves being a mother, she has a great heart and is just doing watever is great for her children
u guys should shut ur bad mouths about kate cuz u guys just imagine if u were in her shoes
theres no proof watsoever tht she got rid of anybody
doesnt anybody roll their eyes? doesnt everybody complain and ask fo rwat they want?

October 7, 2009 at 12:58 pm
(97) Tina says:

Mady is a brat and her behavior is unacceptable! How people can watch her and say, that’s normal is mind boggling! What child is unhappy and complaining ALL the time? Kids are not perfect but it’s obvious she has issues! I’m not going to try and diagnose her but she needs discipline or professional help. I personally think they let her get away with too much! I would have nipped it in the bud from the start! Both of them created the monster she has become.

Mady is JUST like Kate and that’s not a good thing. I’m thinking maybe that’s why Kate let her get away with so much? Can you imagine Mady as a teenager? That’s a scary thought! I guarantee you that Kate wont think it’s cute then!

She is abusive to the younger kids but as they get older she better watch out! Those boys might end up hurting her one day. Did you guys see the pics of her discipling one of the boys for acting up at school? I wish a child of mine would put their hands on one of my other kids! NOT acceptable. Who does she think she is?

Bottom line, I think she needs to be put in her place! I don’t care how smart she is, that is not an excuse for her poor behavior!

Also, I don’t think the cameras are to blame here. She was a brat from the beginning! You take away the camera and she will still have issues!

One more thing, I can appreciate her honesty because I’m blunt as well. However, her comment about the kids liking Jon more doesn’t hold much weight to me. Kids usually favor the parent that has less responsibility. The parent that doesn’t discipline them as much etc. So logically that would be Jon.

October 8, 2009 at 7:54 pm
(98) Elvis says:

I can’t believe everyone is talking about this child like they are. She is a 8 year old kid, she will see all these comments, some are so cruel, why do this to this little girl.
STOP IT

October 8, 2009 at 10:35 pm
(99) anynomous says:

Mady is a normal 8 year old girl who is just going through a phase.if you watch how she acted at the begining of the show and watch her now you can tell that shes acting better.and for all of the people who want to diagnose a little girl from watching a 30 minute show every week,unless you are a psychologist or you PERSONALLY have the “disabillity”, dont jump to conclusions about someone who youve never even met and how there mind works!

October 9, 2009 at 5:35 pm
(100) Nana says:

I’ll tell you what wrong with Mady.
She’s a smart girl and also an HONEST one.
Her behavior stems from her humiliation and rage at her parents’ phoney talk and behavior in front of the cameras. She sees right through them, especially her mother. You will notice that Kate backs off sometimes because she knows that Mady could do a number on her if she wanted to…so Kate dances around some issues while on camera. Mady is being told to cooperate and act this way, and smile, and she knows this is all so fake.
She is clearly unhappy in this fake family. It’s more than she can tolerate….so, she doesn’t tolerate it very well.

October 11, 2009 at 2:47 pm
(101) Katie says:

Mady is emotionally disturbed. I have worked in elementary emotional support for years. I recognized it right away. She may already have a diagnosis that has not been made public. If that is the case, it is a shame because having a child with ED on TV would be a terrific way to gain exposure of this disorder. Mady has difficulty controlling her emotions and she can’t help but let them control her. I hope that she is getting treatment in school and at home.

October 11, 2009 at 5:03 pm
(102) Donna says:

The parents are the ones needing counseling

October 14, 2009 at 10:35 am
(103) Amy says:

Mady is like mom.

October 19, 2009 at 8:13 am
(104) Karen says:

Mady’s parents need to forget their money grabbing way and focus on having her checked out for ADHA and bi polar and all the other conditioned mentioned. If she has none of those problems then she needs a few good spankings.

October 20, 2009 at 5:30 pm
(105) Marion says:

Mady is jealous of Cara because Cara is first born and jealous of the little kids because of all the attention they get.

October 26, 2009 at 2:54 am
(106) jan says:

Mady is a normal nine year old girl who has to deal with a lot of brothers and sisters. Who are we to judge her. We all get judged in the end. I have seen the shows where she has her little fits, but wouldn’t any little kid if they had to deal with the stress of having such a large family with six younger brothers and sisters who are also sextuplets. Give the poor girl a break!! I have also seen a couple of times where Cara has a fit, but do people go ragging on her, no, they just choose to belittle Mady and make her look like a horrible little monster. That makes me sick to think of anyone belittleing a kid they don’t even know. If someone did that to my neices I would smack them.

October 28, 2009 at 4:03 pm
(107) Jennifer says:

The kid is a nightmare. The only time she isn’t acting like a complete ass is when she is the center of attention. This kid needs to be disciplined in a major way.

October 29, 2009 at 1:35 pm
(108) maddie jansen says:

that is a terrible thing to say

November 3, 2009 at 1:19 pm
(109) Melissa says:

Mady is sadly turning into Kate. But, Mady still has a shread of normal personality left, one that realizes her mother is horrible, ala her stating that they liked their Daddy better (that statement should raise red flags to ANYONE watching that show). Mady resents the show, the attention her mother gets, which she knows is undeserving, and the attention her siblings get.

Mady is already exhibiting signs of Narcissistic Personality disorder, just like what Kate has. Perfect example is when (as mentioned in an earlier post) Mady states that she wants a Puppy that “Only loves HER”. NOT GOOD.

All of the Gosselin children need counseling and intervention right away, and Kate needs to lose full custody—I really fear for those kids. Jon has a lot of issues too, but at least he is not Kate.

I know we all loved the show at first, but now it’s clear—Kate is a MONSTER, not a “real mom” who’s “stressed”. The show must end and so must Kate’s wrath.

There are only 2 paths kids take—they imitate their parents/take on their problems, or spend their whole lives fighting themselves NOT to be like them. A constant battle.

November 20, 2009 at 6:11 pm
(110) Heidi says:

Mady seems a very unhappy child. For all of you who are saying she is a normal 9 year old child, perhaps you need to look at your own parenting skills if you believe she is displaying “normal and happy” 9 year old behaviour? None of my 7 children ever behaved like her at 9 years old because they were happy children who had their physical and emotional needs taken care of. Mady displays signs of being one very unhappy little girl and yes she needs help, but I doubt she needs medical help … just decent parents who have the time and inclination to help ALL of their children when they run into emotional problems like Mady. I actually don’t think Mady is the only child in that family who is deeply unhappy and if this show continues, it will be interesting (and sad) to see just how many of them go off the rails like Mady has.

November 20, 2009 at 11:53 pm
(111) sarah says:

MADY??? OK we are talking about a 8-9 yr old who most of her life has had no attention!!! Her grandparents rarely see them along with the rest of John and Kate’s family and her parents have to divide their attention among 8 children and a spouse. She has no social life other than nanny’s and security guards, per parents have argued ever since the beginning (and i’m sure it didnt start there), she has camera’s poked in her face and i’m sure she gets ridiculed at school. Plus John was previously working before the show. I dont feel like I have adequate time for my 1 child with my job and husband—so what real time does Mady get? The PROBLEM, I believe is that the NY post and the rest of these 110 post would even begin to consider Mady as the problem and post this crap about a 9 yr. old!!!! Needing a swift kick in the but or dx. What she needs is a normal life! This is not to approve of Madie’s behavior– it def. needs addressing—- but what needs really needs adressing is the cause. A child who’s been abused will have behavioral issues—do we post comments about them??? NO! This is beyond sad— a child who has been through hell and now America( and the NY times)is gonna talk trash. We are the ones who needs the kick or dx. not Mady!!!

November 22, 2009 at 2:53 am
(112) Sandra says:

Mady is a delightful young lady with a lot of spunk. I look forward to seeing what she chooses to focus on in the future. As a teacher I would be delighted to have her in my class. She’s not so much an outdoorsy girl. Neither is her mom. Most of her unhappy times are during outdoor activity times. Easy explanantion. Please, no diagnosis!

November 23, 2009 at 10:18 pm
(113) Maya H says:

Listen Mady is my age im 9 she acts like a sweetie pie she just wants ppl to love her more give her a break she has 7 brothers and sisters she just wants some time with Mommy and Daddy (without Jon). :)

November 25, 2009 at 7:10 am
(114) Another Amy says:

Nana I agree with you wholeheartedly. Poor Mady is “the middle child” in that group. Doesn’t anybody remember the scenes where she was helping with “the little kids” as Kate called them. Mady is under-appreciated and honest. Yes she threw a fit at the American Girl store but we don’t know what happened BEHIND the scenes. Mady told Kate that Kate ruined it. Well why didn’t TLC just show what Kate did. Editing the scene to make poor little Mady look bad. God she’s just a child give her some slack. Even Kate said when they told the twins they were divorcing Mady said she saw it coming. The stress that little girl is under. The emotional abuse she has been subjected to is horrific.

November 29, 2009 at 12:25 am
(115) Nancy says:

Mady and Kate have issues because they are only human. Who wouldn’t have stress issues living the life they live, with so many kids and such young parents?! Very Stressful indeed!

November 29, 2009 at 9:43 pm
(116) Mary says:

Mady is a unique child who clearly needs more attention than she is getting. Positive attention; NOT the negative attention she is receiving. Perhaps being one of 8 children in a family, whose behavior is under constant scrutiny, brings out the worse in this child. She needs privacy, time alone, and not the constant criticism she receives from her parents or the viewers. Listen to how Kate describes life with her; ” so hard dealing with her day after day…. she’s never happy.” She is very very bright, judging by her vocabulary and ability to express herself and “get it.” When she has a bad day, everyone sees it, and unlike children in normal circumstances, she doesn’t have a chance to sit back, reflect, or talk to someone who is interested in listening. The last two seasons have shown a Kate that is increasingly very impatient, acting like a director, willing her kids to be “on” when the camera starts clicking. Personally? I’d like to spend some time with this very special bright little girl, in a calm environment, where she and I can say or talk about anything on our minds, or be silent. Wouldn’t you like that, instead of constant concern about being recorded. I think she will have a difficult adolescence and adult life without therapy. I think she needs attention of the positive type, but she can’t get it because she is in competition with the camera crew and the seven other children. Negative attention is better than no attention at all. She’s learned to be manipulative to get that attention. I think that she is very very bright, and sees more than most kids her age. When Cara and Mady were told of the divorce, Cara buried her head and bawled; Mady said, “I’m not surprised.” She is too wise. I’d like to pick up that little girl out of that zoo where she is forced to “perform” and live. We all make mistakes, and when I do, I want to be able to move on. I wouldn’t like having a movie made that would never let me “start over.” Just because Cara is quiet, doesn’t act up, doesn’t mean everything is ok with her. Sometimes, the quiet children are struggling with their feelings; not sharing feelings isn’t necessarily healthy. Not everyone is meant to live and grow in front of an audience. It isn’t fair to the children; they deserve privacy, to achieve or fail, without constant scruitiny. They don’t have a choice.

December 15, 2009 at 5:55 pm
(117) Vel says:

I have only four words to describe Mady…,
“LIKE MOTHER LIKE DAUGHTER!!!!” They both need major therapy!

December 16, 2009 at 9:15 pm
(118) Laura says:

You people have issues! Have you never had a brother or sister? You argue and fight and tell them you hate them and lie to them and take their toys. It’s NORMAL! I think she is just opinionated and demanding. So what? Lots of successful people are like that. But bipolar? Sensory processing disorder? I bet all your kids are on Ritalin and anti-depressants given how quick you like to diagnose. You people are the psychopaths.

December 17, 2009 at 6:54 pm
(119) Hanna says:

Not at all, the sweet little girl is normal. She acts up like this simpley because she does not get enough attention and feels the need to do this. If you had all of those little siblings you would be the same way, you ask then why doesn’t Cara? Because she tends to hold everything in and does not express her feelings until one day she bursts! So stop speaking about Mady like this.

December 30, 2009 at 7:52 am
(120) Lizzie says:

Mady seems miserable which is upsetting enough, but worse than the misery is her roughness and violence with the younger children and her lying about it. Anyone can empathize with the difficulty of her position in the family but certainly not with her cruelty and deceit. This child should be in the hands of a good therapist as soon as possible.

January 4, 2010 at 3:39 pm
(121) amy IMPORTANT says:

MADY is a horrible little girl SOMETIMES!
but think of it this way, her mum CANT give her a good BELT or a SLAP on TELEVISION, can she? she could be accused or being an ABBUSIVE PARENT! she can only say to mady that she is being HORRIBLE, but cannot do anything physically on CAMERA-which is around ALL OF THE TIME.

March 10, 2010 at 3:48 pm
(122) Gosselins are AWESOME!!!!!! says:

No, she is a perfect girl. I think a lot of her bad moments are put in to male the show more “exciting”. She loves all her siblings, and by seeing how much they love her and how smart she is, you should realize that there is NOTHING wrong with Madelyn Kate Gosselin!!!!!!! I have watched this show forever, and most of the time Mady is a sweet, caring girl. So, i don’t know what all this is about!

April 12, 2010 at 1:28 pm
(123) Kodie says:

Maddy’s mother is a nutter so if you can find an attitude or issue with Maddy look no further than the nut case for a mother.

April 15, 2010 at 3:09 pm
(124) Kittie6 says:

mady just needs more attention. She’s smart and talented and high-spirited, but simply does not get sufficient attention. None of her siblings do either, unless it is from nannies. Their mother is not home much, and when she is it appears that she is never far from her “wooden discipline spoon”. Poor Mady. Poor siblings.

May 3, 2010 at 12:20 pm
(125) G says:

I think that Mady just needs a lot more discipline. She doesn’t have any disorders, Kate just gives her whatever she wants so she’ll shut up.

May 3, 2010 at 12:46 pm
(126) G says:

Oh, and Aicha G (65), HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 3, 2010 at 7:04 pm
(127) G says:

Sorry. Jon and Kate are great parents and Mady is a good kid who loves her brothers and sisters.

May 8, 2010 at 10:02 am
(128) Zoetta says:

I was a therapist in a children’s mental health centre in Canada (retired now). I can’t believe how many of you are advocating physical punishment ( slaps, kicks, beatings) for an unhappy child !Incidentally, that type of discipline is considered reportable child abuse in Canada.
I see Mady as the most mentally healthy of the lot. She is the “Identified Patient”, the child who is in essence blowing the whistle on the family dysfunction. She has to be discredited by her mother and father in order that the truth is not seen, because to own it would expose the extremely stressful and probably abusive life those children are leading.
Mady needs a therapist who will validate that she is not crazy, but is reacting normally to an abnormal situation. A “diagnosis” would only add to her stigmatization.
The family needs a Family Therapist who is not dazzled by their public profile and is able to see through the delusional patterns they are building for each of those children.

May 15, 2010 at 9:02 pm
(129) allison says:

I think she jest doesn’t get enough attention and I also dont’ think that corner thing doesn’t work after maybe 6

June 9, 2010 at 9:17 am
(130) Concerned says:

I am very concerned for Mady after the premeire of the new show. In the scene in the park with the party for the tups Mady is heard saying no one cares about me I want to die. A clear cry for help yet heard by no one around her. This can’t be leading to anything good.

June 10, 2010 at 2:56 pm
(131) concerned teacher says:

I completely agree with the last post. I also watched the premiere of the new show, and Maddy has not changed a bit in front of the cameras. She still appears to be miserable and will seek all the negative attention possible when on camera. This child is clearly at risk for problems in her adolescence. Kate needs to face the truth that her incessant desire for money and fame will have long term repercussions for all her children, not just Maddy. As usual, the show was a completely contrived, staged event. A penguin met the family at the airport, there are never any other people around when the family attends events at the waterpark, etc. But as usual, there are moments when Maddy disrupts the illusion by complaining, whining, and putting down the younger children (called one a “loser”). It was interesting how Kate continues to rationalize the exposure the kids have received on the show. She made a big point of saying how upset the children were when she told them the crew was leaving last year. There was also lots of footage of the kids’ reuniting with the camera crew. Well, time will be the judge of her decisions. All the money in the world will not help her when she is dealing with out-of-control teenagers who rebel against her unreasonable control. I really pity those kids, and I wish them well.

June 16, 2010 at 8:34 pm
(132) Katie says:

I think all of you people are WRONG! How can you say such mean things about a innocent child. How would you like it if your parents were going through a terrible divorce and you were being video taped through all of your tough times? How would you like it if you could not even go to the grovery store with your mom without mobs of paparazzi running at you and taking pictures? This is scary for Mady and for all the kids. I know that would scare me and make me sad. Poor Mady is trying to deal with alot while a camera is shoved in her face. She is a sweet innocent little girl and she does not have issues, she just has a hard life with a lot of things going on right now and it is hard for her to deal with it. It must be hard growing up with 6 younger siblings who get ALL of the attention. Mady just wants to feel loved and her parents do not give her enough attention. She needs extra TLC and so does Kara. From being on tv all of these kids not just Mady, are all suffering from it. They need to be taken off tv and given a somewhat normal life. I just think you people are horrible just horrible for saying such mean things about this little girl who is going through so many hard times. She just wants to be loved and she needs to have more one on one time with her parents. Kara and Maddy need to be appreciated more and shown that they are just as important as the little kids. So stop saying bad things about poor Mady because she is a great kid who just is not given the attention she deserves. It is very sad…

July 9, 2010 at 10:36 am
(133) Someone says:

Of course she’s going to act out!The poor kid wants her mother&fathers attention!I’ve watched the show for some ime now.They barely even show the twins at all!You see them on the show ONCE every THREE episodes!I feel bad for the poor kid!I doubt she gets any attention from her mother!Kate is a selfish attention hog.If it was MY choice I would have Jon take care of all the kids.Idon’t bame him for cheating on Kate ,she is a ****!

July 12, 2010 at 9:27 am
(134) Val says:

I think that the one who wrote this needs some help. Mady is the older sister of 6 kids, who get ALL the attention, and she also has Cara. I like Cara better, but I feel for both of them…. She has all the stess of a regular 9 year old, and her parents are in the media all the time. I bet that kids ask her about stuff all the time. She is a good child, we shouldn’t be talking about her like that…….

July 23, 2010 at 3:36 am
(135) Buzz says:

I have watched the show from the beginning. Mady is my favorite, probably because she reminds me a lot of myself. I was unhappy as a child because the only attention I got was negative. I was always being told what I had done wrong, and how horrible I was. I was the family “whipping boy.” I think Mady fills the same role in her family. Their show has always been all about the little kids. Mady and Cara are barely seen. Unfortunately when Mady is seen it is because she is acting out, or is in trouble. Even when they go on family trips, Mady and Cara are not shown. Wouldn’t you feel insignificant if that happened to you? Jon and especially Kate were also too self-absorbed to give Mady positive attention. There is nothing wrong with Mady needing to have all the attention focused on her occasionally. When that happens, she is a different child.

Even on the recent show where they went to Florida for the sextuplets 6th birthday, the twins were barely seen. When they did show Mady it was in the usual negative light. She was upset because it was the 3rd birthday party for the little kids, but she and Cara only got one party. Why shouldn’t she feel that way? She was telling the truth….the 6…who get all the attention, were on birthday party 3 (and it wasn’t even their birthday). Mady did say “Nobody cares about me, I might as well die.” That was not a brat speaking, that was a child who needs to know that she is loved, she is important, and her feelings matter. As usual, Mady was not offered what she needed, she was punished (on camera) and pushed aside while attention was immediately refocused on her younger siblings.

If Mady was ever up for adoption, I would adopt her in a heartbeat. I would love the chance to focus on Mady in positive ways. I would love to help build her self-esteem. I would like to show her that she is important, just as important as her younger siblings. I have cared about Mady for a long time. I can’t believe that there are so many people out there who are willing just to call her a brat and write her off.

August 11, 2010 at 2:14 pm
(136) Alexis says:

Its Alexis again… I was number 37.
I just want everybody to know that Mady does not have any issues or problems. She has actually improved alot since I first witnessed the show. And guys think, she has 7 siblings 6 of which are 6 years old. She is always being compared to Cara and it really just isn’t fair for her.Everyone is always saying ” She is so mean to the little kids. And she makes life so much more difficult then it needs to be ” Thats crap. Her parents jus divorced aswell she has been shaken by it, as have the other kids. Mady is just a little girl trying to find herself. And thats why I love her. I see Mady ALOT in me. I have this bond with her that cannot be broken. No matter what I will defend her in every way possible. Just remember this whenever you see Mady acting up ” NEVER.GIVE.UP.ON.MADY ”

I love this kid and there is nothing wrong with her.
If I could go and see Mady right now I would. If she was out on the middle of the street right now, surely I could run out onto the middle of the street in my pajamas and go get her. I would adopt Mady any time. If she got hurt in anyway, I would take her place in a heartbeat. This is how much I love Mady.
When she grows older and googles herself. She is going to see all the negativity that has been put against her, including this site. The only thing that makes me happy about that is that she will also see the few people who love her.
Whenever people say to me ” Why is she your favourite, why wouldn’t you pick Leah she much cuter ” I just shake my head and say ” Mady is an amazing kid, me and few others are the only ones who see that. And yes Leah is adorable but thats not what matters ” Bottom line I’m not afraid to stand up for her

December 14, 2010 at 8:01 pm
(137) mady fan 101 says:

hi um nothing is wrong with mady eveyr kid has tantrums even the best kids but i do agree she needs a little more disicpline.

January 19, 2011 at 10:22 pm
(138) Paula says:

My goodness, what a lot of comments!!! Mady and most of the others need a good slap, on the hand, just to bring them up short and let them know that whatever they did is not acceptable, but then you would have all the “So called experts” coming out of the woodwork. Thats why there are so many brats in the last few generations. Discipline is not fashionable any more and the poor parents are reaping the results with uncontrollable kids who rule the roost because they are not allowed to discipline their kids. Anyway its probably too late for the Gossellins and by the way, for heaven sake keep the in the U.S. we definitely don’t want them in Oz thankyou,

May 3, 2011 at 10:31 am
(139) PamelaJaye says:

has anyone considered that Mady might be the sane one?

June 14, 2011 at 1:52 am
(140) Sherron Teal says:

I so agree with Paula, children today are running the roost and the parents hands are tied because of stupid Dr Spock who started this spanking a child is bad for them nonsense! Mandy needs a good whop on the butt to set her attitude straight! If she doesn’t get this God help Kate when the child hits her teens, she is going to be totally out of control. I also remember a year or so ago when their was a picture of Kate giving one of the kids a whop on the butt and what a HUGE hoola baloo their was because this mother said enough and got tired of talking and gave the child what she should have got! I raised three sons on my own and they knew how far too go and when they could not cross that line, this is what children are lacking today, they are disrespectful in school and to parents because their are no boundaries! What a sad state this country is in because of this.. We are raising spoiled, self centered children into adults who have a strong sense of entitlement this will cause more divorce, bad relations, spouses murdering each other for the insurance money and God knows what else!

June 14, 2011 at 2:02 am
(141) Sherron Teal says:

These children get WAY TOO MUCH! How are they ever going to be happy living a life in which they have to work to earn a living when they are given everything and way too much. Why is it not enough these days for kids to just have ice cream cake and punch and some friends over for a party. Why must kids have a party every single year? As if that is not enough they have to be given a present for Valentines day, Easter, Christmas, birthdays and any other holiday people can think of. Birthdays and Christmas I get but why the others?? Children get way too much these days and it is spoiling them rotten!!

June 28, 2011 at 6:53 am
(142) Hoochy says:

i agree totally with comment 2 ive just watched that episode about the puppy and thought OMG… she is a very ungrateful spoilt litlle brat!!!!!

August 17, 2011 at 11:16 pm
(143) Denise says:

Mady is just like her mom!

August 19, 2011 at 9:10 am
(144) britney says:

I dilsike the way Mady behaves. Even when she talks it’s as if
she is the center of the Universe and what she is saying is
extremely importand. I dont know if she needs discipline or diagnosis but I definitely believe that being filmed during her
early years has contributed to her feeling/believing that she is
somewhat different to the rest of the world. It also doesn’t help that she has 7 siblings to compete with for attention, and attention is what she craves the most.

November 8, 2011 at 3:07 pm
(145) Corinne says:

I think Mady’s problems come from a variety of sources, because her life seems like it really sucks (to herself, at least). Really, she has an over controlling mother, six younger siblings, a camera crew following her family everywhere, and a twin sister who is portrayed as perfect and herself as a little demon. I don’t see how her behaviour is unusual for a girl of her age, and as an older sister myself, the hatred of younger siblings is natural and fades with time (although competition with your siblings does not help). I think most of her problems come from her parents, kate who gets mad at everything and nothing, and Jon who sits and takes it.

January 6, 2012 at 2:50 pm
(146) Sara says:

Beth (28) I think you nailed it. More than any of these other comments I think you are absolutely correct. Lost in a sea of siblings I too was a difficult child that didn’t receive enough of the right kind of attention. Anything that slightly offset my fantasy world upset me and therefor a tantrum followed. I know it is years later but I hope one some point you can see that you were not alone. Neither is Maddy. I am grown now (age 25) and have learned quite a few things the hard way. But now I never take anything for granted because I did have to learn things the hard way. I don’t think she has a mental condition such as ADHD or whatever. I just think she is taking the less traveled path in life based on the cards she was dealt and her stubborn nature. She will learn and will someday regret not stopping and smelling the flowers along the way as a child. But when she finally realized this she will too (just as you and I did) realize those flowers are so precious and never take them for granted again. She will be fine. It is just sad that she has to go through this painful growing experience while the world watched her under a microscope. This could actually impede her growth but hopefully not.

March 27, 2012 at 8:16 pm
(147) donna says:

Mady is just like Kate…. A spoiled little brat that needs a whack on the arse.

May 30, 2012 at 10:19 pm
(148) Sandi says:

Madelyn is a BRAT and they should have considered Jon and Kate plus 7.

August 26, 2012 at 5:26 pm
(149) YAITZME says:

UMM…. I see that I’m a little late on this one. In fact, I really just comment on the Posts Top Ten useless characters list. MaDY is a child…a REAL child! Not a fictional character on a TV series. America went into HER home and interrupted HER childhood and people are calling her a brat??? I’d bet all of you would be a brat too if your life was fliped upside down at the age of what?? 5?? When you were already fighting with your twin sister for your parents attention and then had 6 more siblings all at one time doing the same thing. I agree that she probably needs some help, but to poke fun at her and to call her useless?? Really???

December 2, 2012 at 2:34 am
(150) She says:

Everyone who is saying she has ADHD stop! I’m 11 and I have it and it really isn’t because she can’t pay attention or is overly hyperactive. I think she is probably jealous because everyone pays attention to the sixtuplets and not her. Also, she probably has anger management issues.

February 6, 2013 at 1:52 pm
(151) Amanda says:

i think these comments are eally mean and kate gosselin is probably really offended by them…

January 5, 2014 at 3:50 pm
(152) Ashlyn Sweetland says:

I think that Mady needs more discipline. She is a good kid I don’t think she has any type of disorder just she is exposed a lot to the public. She is always looking after her younger sisters. I watch Jon and Kate plus eight all the time and Mady is a brat yes but Kate needs to show some more discipline mother-wise.

January 5, 2014 at 3:54 pm
(153) Ashlyn Sweetland says:

I think Mady does not have a disorder. I think she needs more discipline. I have ADHD Mady does not have trouble paying attention she simply has a big temper she is a perfectly normal kid. Yes Mady is a brat but mother-wise Kate needs to pay more attention to the twins and not to the sixtuplets.